May 23, 2013, 2:34 PM EST
Much has been made of Jonathan Toews‘ scoring slump this postseason — eight games, zero goals.
But as far as he’s concerned, it’s all part of the playoff process.
“This seems to be the first time we’re running into some tough adversity. There’s nothing wrong with that,” Toews told the Chicago Tribune. “That’s something you have to face come playoff time.
“You don’t win a Stanley Cup without going through something like that.”
It must be said that Chicago’s scoring issues aren’t just limited to Toews at the moment.
The Blackhawks have two goals in their last 120 minutes of play and have failed to score on their last seven power play opportunities. Brandon Saad and Viktor Stalberg are also scoreless this postseason, and they combined for 19 during the regular season.
But it’s Toews who’s receiving the most attention for his lack of output.
And to be fair, this isn’t just about the ’13 playoffs.
Since flat-out dominating the 2009-10 postseason — 29 points in 22 games en route to winning the Conn Smythe — Captain Serious has been relatively quiet, scoring just 10 points (three goals) in 21 playoff games.
That said, Toews sees better days ahead.
“It’s a long ways from over,” he explained. “We’re going to focus on [Game 4]. We’re a confident, happy group right now and we’re excited to play.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 10
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 39
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)