May 23, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
Much has been made of Jonathan Toews‘ scoring slump this postseason — eight games, zero goals.
But as far as he’s concerned, it’s all part of the playoff process.
“This seems to be the first time we’re running into some tough adversity. There’s nothing wrong with that,” Toews told the Chicago Tribune. “That’s something you have to face come playoff time.
“You don’t win a Stanley Cup without going through something like that.”
It must be said that Chicago’s scoring issues aren’t just limited to Toews at the moment.
The Blackhawks have two goals in their last 120 minutes of play and have failed to score on their last seven power play opportunities. Brandon Saad and Viktor Stalberg are also scoreless this postseason, and they combined for 19 during the regular season.
But it’s Toews who’s receiving the most attention for his lack of output.
And to be fair, this isn’t just about the ’13 playoffs.
Since flat-out dominating the 2009-10 postseason — 29 points in 22 games en route to winning the Conn Smythe — Captain Serious has been relatively quiet, scoring just 10 points (three goals) in 21 playoff games.
That said, Toews sees better days ahead.
“It’s a long ways from over,” he explained. “We’re going to focus on [Game 4]. We’re a confident, happy group right now and we’re excited to play.”
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 15
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 25
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 30
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 27
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)