May 23, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
Much has been made of Jonathan Toews‘ scoring slump this postseason — eight games, zero goals.
But as far as he’s concerned, it’s all part of the playoff process.
“This seems to be the first time we’re running into some tough adversity. There’s nothing wrong with that,” Toews told the Chicago Tribune. “That’s something you have to face come playoff time.
“You don’t win a Stanley Cup without going through something like that.”
It must be said that Chicago’s scoring issues aren’t just limited to Toews at the moment.
The Blackhawks have two goals in their last 120 minutes of play and have failed to score on their last seven power play opportunities. Brandon Saad and Viktor Stalberg are also scoreless this postseason, and they combined for 19 during the regular season.
But it’s Toews who’s receiving the most attention for his lack of output.
And to be fair, this isn’t just about the ’13 playoffs.
Since flat-out dominating the 2009-10 postseason — 29 points in 22 games en route to winning the Conn Smythe — Captain Serious has been relatively quiet, scoring just 10 points (three goals) in 21 playoff games.
That said, Toews sees better days ahead.
“It’s a long ways from over,” he explained. “We’re going to focus on [Game 4]. We’re a confident, happy group right now and we’re excited to play.”
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 8
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 40
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)