May 23, 2013, 2:34 PM EST
Much has been made of Jonathan Toews‘ scoring slump this postseason — eight games, zero goals.
But as far as he’s concerned, it’s all part of the playoff process.
“This seems to be the first time we’re running into some tough adversity. There’s nothing wrong with that,” Toews told the Chicago Tribune. “That’s something you have to face come playoff time.
“You don’t win a Stanley Cup without going through something like that.”
It must be said that Chicago’s scoring issues aren’t just limited to Toews at the moment.
The Blackhawks have two goals in their last 120 minutes of play and have failed to score on their last seven power play opportunities. Brandon Saad and Viktor Stalberg are also scoreless this postseason, and they combined for 19 during the regular season.
But it’s Toews who’s receiving the most attention for his lack of output.
And to be fair, this isn’t just about the ’13 playoffs.
Since flat-out dominating the 2009-10 postseason — 29 points in 22 games en route to winning the Conn Smythe — Captain Serious has been relatively quiet, scoring just 10 points (three goals) in 21 playoff games.
That said, Toews sees better days ahead.
“It’s a long ways from over,” he explained. “We’re going to focus on [Game 4]. We’re a confident, happy group right now and we’re excited to play.”
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvrith makes Sabres debut 0
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 17
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 33
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)