May 23, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
Much has been made of Jonathan Toews‘ scoring slump this postseason — eight games, zero goals.
But as far as he’s concerned, it’s all part of the playoff process.
“This seems to be the first time we’re running into some tough adversity. There’s nothing wrong with that,” Toews told the Chicago Tribune. “That’s something you have to face come playoff time.
“You don’t win a Stanley Cup without going through something like that.”
It must be said that Chicago’s scoring issues aren’t just limited to Toews at the moment.
The Blackhawks have two goals in their last 120 minutes of play and have failed to score on their last seven power play opportunities. Brandon Saad and Viktor Stalberg are also scoreless this postseason, and they combined for 19 during the regular season.
But it’s Toews who’s receiving the most attention for his lack of output.
And to be fair, this isn’t just about the ’13 playoffs.
Since flat-out dominating the 2009-10 postseason — 29 points in 22 games en route to winning the Conn Smythe — Captain Serious has been relatively quiet, scoring just 10 points (three goals) in 21 playoff games.
That said, Toews sees better days ahead.
“It’s a long ways from over,” he explained. “We’re going to focus on [Game 4]. We’re a confident, happy group right now and we’re excited to play.”
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 0
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 4
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 46
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 49
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)