May 23, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
After making his Calgary debut this season and performing well in a limited role, Danny Taylor thought he’d be in the mix for the Flames next season.
But he wasn’t willing to wait around to find out.
Instead, Taylor took a two-year offer from Farjestad of the Swedish Elite League, which he describes as a “a two-year deal, and it’s twice as much money as I’ve ever made in a hockey season.”
That’s not to say this turn of events is all good news.
“I wanted to be back with Calgary, but there was no opportunity there, to be honest,” Taylor told The Abbotsford News. “When we talked about a deal with them, they said they couldn’t do anything right now.
“It’s kind of disappointing after the year I had.”
Taylor, 27, spent most of the season with Calgary’s AHL affiliate in Abbotsford, posting a 1.77 GAA (2nd best in the AHL) and .930 save percentage (4th best) prior to earning a one-year deal with the Flames after Miikka Kiprusoff was injured in February.
He went on to appear in two games for Calgary this season: a 33-save loss to Phoenix and a 29-save victory over Vancouver in March, his first and only career NHL win.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 12
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 13
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)