May 23, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
After making his Calgary debut this season and performing well in a limited role, Danny Taylor thought he’d be in the mix for the Flames next season.
But he wasn’t willing to wait around to find out.
Instead, Taylor took a two-year offer from Farjestad of the Swedish Elite League, which he describes as a “a two-year deal, and it’s twice as much money as I’ve ever made in a hockey season.”
That’s not to say this turn of events is all good news.
“I wanted to be back with Calgary, but there was no opportunity there, to be honest,” Taylor told The Abbotsford News. “When we talked about a deal with them, they said they couldn’t do anything right now.
“It’s kind of disappointing after the year I had.”
Taylor, 27, spent most of the season with Calgary’s AHL affiliate in Abbotsford, posting a 1.77 GAA (2nd best in the AHL) and .930 save percentage (4th best) prior to earning a one-year deal with the Flames after Miikka Kiprusoff was injured in February.
He went on to appear in two games for Calgary this season: a 33-save loss to Phoenix and a 29-save victory over Vancouver in March, his first and only career NHL win.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 5
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 74
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 72
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 63
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 37
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 72
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (75)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (72)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (72)