May 23, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
After making his Calgary debut this season and performing well in a limited role, Danny Taylor thought he’d be in the mix for the Flames next season.
But he wasn’t willing to wait around to find out.
Instead, Taylor took a two-year offer from Farjestad of the Swedish Elite League, which he describes as a “a two-year deal, and it’s twice as much money as I’ve ever made in a hockey season.”
That’s not to say this turn of events is all good news.
“I wanted to be back with Calgary, but there was no opportunity there, to be honest,” Taylor told The Abbotsford News. “When we talked about a deal with them, they said they couldn’t do anything right now.
“It’s kind of disappointing after the year I had.”
Taylor, 27, spent most of the season with Calgary’s AHL affiliate in Abbotsford, posting a 1.77 GAA (2nd best in the AHL) and .930 save percentage (4th best) prior to earning a one-year deal with the Flames after Miikka Kiprusoff was injured in February.
He went on to appear in two games for Calgary this season: a 33-save loss to Phoenix and a 29-save victory over Vancouver in March, his first and only career NHL win.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)