May 23, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
After making his Calgary debut this season and performing well in a limited role, Danny Taylor thought he’d be in the mix for the Flames next season.
But he wasn’t willing to wait around to find out.
Instead, Taylor took a two-year offer from Farjestad of the Swedish Elite League, which he describes as a “a two-year deal, and it’s twice as much money as I’ve ever made in a hockey season.”
That’s not to say this turn of events is all good news.
“I wanted to be back with Calgary, but there was no opportunity there, to be honest,” Taylor told The Abbotsford News. “When we talked about a deal with them, they said they couldn’t do anything right now.
“It’s kind of disappointing after the year I had.”
Taylor, 27, spent most of the season with Calgary’s AHL affiliate in Abbotsford, posting a 1.77 GAA (2nd best in the AHL) and .930 save percentage (4th best) prior to earning a one-year deal with the Flames after Miikka Kiprusoff was injured in February.
He went on to appear in two games for Calgary this season: a 33-save loss to Phoenix and a 29-save victory over Vancouver in March, his first and only career NHL win.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)