May 23, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Who deserves the blame for the Vancouver Canucks recent struggles in the postseason? Canucks GM Mike Gillis cited that as the reason he fired head coach Alain Vigneault along with assistants Rick Bowness and Newell Brown.
Some would argue that the wrong people were let go and it sounds like Don Cherry is in that camp.
“Three good guys thrown under the bus,” said Cherry on CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada.
“As far as I’m concerned the general manager threw three good guys down the drain and that’s a shame. His fault all the way.”
So what did Gillis do wrong in Cherry’s mind? Keeping Henrik and Daniel Sedin was one of the choices that Cherry disagreed with. Cherry feels the Sedin twins under performed in the playoffs. He also put the goaltending controversy between Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider on Gillis.
“He’s the guy that kept them around. He’s the guy, the general manager, who had the controversy with the goaltenders,” Cherry said.
You can watch his commentary on the Canucks’ situation below (it starts around 6:00):
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)