May 23, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Who deserves the blame for the Vancouver Canucks recent struggles in the postseason? Canucks GM Mike Gillis cited that as the reason he fired head coach Alain Vigneault along with assistants Rick Bowness and Newell Brown.
Some would argue that the wrong people were let go and it sounds like Don Cherry is in that camp.
“Three good guys thrown under the bus,” said Cherry on CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada.
“As far as I’m concerned the general manager threw three good guys down the drain and that’s a shame. His fault all the way.”
So what did Gillis do wrong in Cherry’s mind? Keeping Henrik and Daniel Sedin was one of the choices that Cherry disagreed with. Cherry feels the Sedin twins under performed in the playoffs. He also put the goaltending controversy between Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider on Gillis.
“He’s the guy that kept them around. He’s the guy, the general manager, who had the controversy with the goaltenders,” Cherry said.
You can watch his commentary on the Canucks’ situation below (it starts around 6:00):
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 28
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 26
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 22
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22