May 23, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Who deserves the blame for the Vancouver Canucks recent struggles in the postseason? Canucks GM Mike Gillis cited that as the reason he fired head coach Alain Vigneault along with assistants Rick Bowness and Newell Brown.
Some would argue that the wrong people were let go and it sounds like Don Cherry is in that camp.
“Three good guys thrown under the bus,” said Cherry on CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada.
“As far as I’m concerned the general manager threw three good guys down the drain and that’s a shame. His fault all the way.”
So what did Gillis do wrong in Cherry’s mind? Keeping Henrik and Daniel Sedin was one of the choices that Cherry disagreed with. Cherry feels the Sedin twins under performed in the playoffs. He also put the goaltending controversy between Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider on Gillis.
“He’s the guy that kept them around. He’s the guy, the general manager, who had the controversy with the goaltenders,” Cherry said.
You can watch his commentary on the Canucks’ situation below (it starts around 6:00):
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 3
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)