May 23, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Who deserves the blame for the Vancouver Canucks recent struggles in the postseason? Canucks GM Mike Gillis cited that as the reason he fired head coach Alain Vigneault along with assistants Rick Bowness and Newell Brown.
Some would argue that the wrong people were let go and it sounds like Don Cherry is in that camp.
“Three good guys thrown under the bus,” said Cherry on CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada.
“As far as I’m concerned the general manager threw three good guys down the drain and that’s a shame. His fault all the way.”
So what did Gillis do wrong in Cherry’s mind? Keeping Henrik and Daniel Sedin was one of the choices that Cherry disagreed with. Cherry feels the Sedin twins under performed in the playoffs. He also put the goaltending controversy between Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider on Gillis.
“He’s the guy that kept them around. He’s the guy, the general manager, who had the controversy with the goaltenders,” Cherry said.
You can watch his commentary on the Canucks’ situation below (it starts around 6:00):
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)