May 23, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars and Edmonton Oilers will play the fourth-ever exhibition NHL contest in Oklahoma City on Sept. 27, according to the Edmonton Journal.
The decision makes sense for both teams. The game will allow the Oilers to link up with their AHL affiliate, the Oklahoma City Barons, and give Dallas an opportunity to furhter work toward its goal of becoming the NHL team of the Southwest.
“We’ve had a long-standing relationship with Fox Sports Southwest, and we’re very interested in making ourselves the Hockey Team of Texas, and really the entire Southwest,’’ Stars president Jim Lites told the Dallas Morning News. “We’d love to expand our footprint from New Orleans to Tulsa to Houston and beyond.
“We want to get people excited about the Dallas Stars.’’
In addition to Oklahoma City, the Stars have an exhibition game planned for San Antonio. They’re also expecting to hold their training camp in Forth Worth.
(Oh, and in case you’re curious, the other three NHL preseason games to be played in OKC? The Stars took on the St. Louis Blues in 1995, Blues and Boston Bruins met in ’97 and the Kings and Coyotes played there in 2002. In 1992, the Oilers played a regular-season game in Oklahoma City, facing the New York Islanders.)
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)