May 23, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars and Edmonton Oilers will play the fourth-ever exhibition NHL contest in Oklahoma City on Sept. 27, according to the Edmonton Journal.
The decision makes sense for both teams. The game will allow the Oilers to link up with their AHL affiliate, the Oklahoma City Barons, and give Dallas an opportunity to furhter work toward its goal of becoming the NHL team of the Southwest.
“We’ve had a long-standing relationship with Fox Sports Southwest, and we’re very interested in making ourselves the Hockey Team of Texas, and really the entire Southwest,’’ Stars president Jim Lites told the Dallas Morning News. “We’d love to expand our footprint from New Orleans to Tulsa to Houston and beyond.
“We want to get people excited about the Dallas Stars.’’
In addition to Oklahoma City, the Stars have an exhibition game planned for San Antonio. They’re also expecting to hold their training camp in Forth Worth.
(Oh, and in case you’re curious, the other three NHL preseason games to be played in OKC? The Stars took on the St. Louis Blues in 1995, Blues and Boston Bruins met in ’97 and the Kings and Coyotes played there in 2002. In 1992, the Oilers played a regular-season game in Oklahoma City, facing the New York Islanders.)
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)