May 23, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars and Edmonton Oilers will play the fourth-ever exhibition NHL contest in Oklahoma City on Sept. 27, according to the Edmonton Journal.
The decision makes sense for both teams. The game will allow the Oilers to link up with their AHL affiliate, the Oklahoma City Barons, and give Dallas an opportunity to furhter work toward its goal of becoming the NHL team of the Southwest.
“We’ve had a long-standing relationship with Fox Sports Southwest, and we’re very interested in making ourselves the Hockey Team of Texas, and really the entire Southwest,’’ Stars president Jim Lites told the Dallas Morning News. “We’d love to expand our footprint from New Orleans to Tulsa to Houston and beyond.
“We want to get people excited about the Dallas Stars.’’
In addition to Oklahoma City, the Stars have an exhibition game planned for San Antonio. They’re also expecting to hold their training camp in Forth Worth.
(Oh, and in case you’re curious, the other three NHL preseason games to be played in OKC? The Stars took on the St. Louis Blues in 1995, Blues and Boston Bruins met in ’97 and the Kings and Coyotes played there in 2002. In 1992, the Oilers played a regular-season game in Oklahoma City, facing the New York Islanders.)
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)