May 23, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars and Edmonton Oilers will play the fourth-ever exhibition NHL contest in Oklahoma City on Sept. 27, according to the Edmonton Journal.
The decision makes sense for both teams. The game will allow the Oilers to link up with their AHL affiliate, the Oklahoma City Barons, and give Dallas an opportunity to furhter work toward its goal of becoming the NHL team of the Southwest.
“We’ve had a long-standing relationship with Fox Sports Southwest, and we’re very interested in making ourselves the Hockey Team of Texas, and really the entire Southwest,’’ Stars president Jim Lites told the Dallas Morning News. “We’d love to expand our footprint from New Orleans to Tulsa to Houston and beyond.
“We want to get people excited about the Dallas Stars.’’
In addition to Oklahoma City, the Stars have an exhibition game planned for San Antonio. They’re also expecting to hold their training camp in Forth Worth.
(Oh, and in case you’re curious, the other three NHL preseason games to be played in OKC? The Stars took on the St. Louis Blues in 1995, Blues and Boston Bruins met in ’97 and the Kings and Coyotes played there in 2002. In 1992, the Oilers played a regular-season game in Oklahoma City, facing the New York Islanders.)
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)