May 23, 2013, 11:09 AM EST
The Dallas Stars and Edmonton Oilers will play the fourth-ever exhibition NHL contest in Oklahoma City on Sept. 27, according to the Edmonton Journal.
The decision makes sense for both teams. The game will allow the Oilers to link up with their AHL affiliate, the Oklahoma City Barons, and give Dallas an opportunity to furhter work toward its goal of becoming the NHL team of the Southwest.
“We’ve had a long-standing relationship with Fox Sports Southwest, and we’re very interested in making ourselves the Hockey Team of Texas, and really the entire Southwest,’’ Stars president Jim Lites told the Dallas Morning News. “We’d love to expand our footprint from New Orleans to Tulsa to Houston and beyond.
“We want to get people excited about the Dallas Stars.’’
In addition to Oklahoma City, the Stars have an exhibition game planned for San Antonio. They’re also expecting to hold their training camp in Forth Worth.
(Oh, and in case you’re curious, the other three NHL preseason games to be played in OKC? The Stars took on the St. Louis Blues in 1995, Blues and Boston Bruins met in ’97 and the Kings and Coyotes played there in 2002. In 1992, the Oilers played a regular-season game in Oklahoma City, facing the New York Islanders.)
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)