May 23, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky‘s entry-level contract will expire this summer and he’s due for a big raise after posting a 2.00 GAA and .932 save percentage in 38 games in 2013.
Bobrovsky’s efforts vaulted the Blue Jackets into contention for a playoff spot and earned him a Vezina Trophy nomination. Columbus needs Bobrovsky and they will almost certainly enter the 2013-14 campaign with him, but for now the negotiations seem to be going nowhere fast.
“We’ve talked. We’ve exchanged ideas,” Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said, according to the Columbus Dispatch. “But we haven’t made any progress, really. It’s been pretty quiet for a while now.”
If the two sides don’t agree to terms before July 5, then Bobrovsky can become a restricted free agent and accept offer sheets. Those aren’t common, but the Philadelphia Flyers made waves last summer by signing defenseman Shea Weber to one.
Nashville ultimately exercised its right to match the contract, as the Blue Jackets would likely do if a competitor attempted to sign Bobrovsky.
“That’s something we can’t control,” Kekalainen said. “It’s obvious what we’re going to do if it goes that far. We have great ownership; committed ownership. We would match any offer there might be, but I’m optimistic we won’t get to that point.”
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 1
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 48
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)