May 23, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky‘s entry-level contract will expire this summer and he’s due for a big raise after posting a 2.00 GAA and .932 save percentage in 38 games in 2013.
Bobrovsky’s efforts vaulted the Blue Jackets into contention for a playoff spot and earned him a Vezina Trophy nomination. Columbus needs Bobrovsky and they will almost certainly enter the 2013-14 campaign with him, but for now the negotiations seem to be going nowhere fast.
“We’ve talked. We’ve exchanged ideas,” Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said, according to the Columbus Dispatch. “But we haven’t made any progress, really. It’s been pretty quiet for a while now.”
If the two sides don’t agree to terms before July 5, then Bobrovsky can become a restricted free agent and accept offer sheets. Those aren’t common, but the Philadelphia Flyers made waves last summer by signing defenseman Shea Weber to one.
Nashville ultimately exercised its right to match the contract, as the Blue Jackets would likely do if a competitor attempted to sign Bobrovsky.
“That’s something we can’t control,” Kekalainen said. “It’s obvious what we’re going to do if it goes that far. We have great ownership; committed ownership. We would match any offer there might be, but I’m optimistic we won’t get to that point.”
- Flames place Giordano on IR 0
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 25
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 59
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (97)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)