May 23, 2013, 1:24 PM EST
After receiving plenty of attention for comments made following a 7-3 loss to Pittsburgh on Wednesday, Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson cleared the air.
Alfredsson — who said “probably not” when a reporter asked if Ottawa could come back from a 3-1 series deficit — tried to explain where he was coming from on Thursday.
“There’s no denying we’re in tough,” he told NHL.com’s Arpon Basu. “Was it taken out of context? Probably, but that’s fine. I can handle that.”
Speaking of context, here’s how Alfie’s Game 4 comments unfolded:
The controversial quotes, obviously, are the “probably not,” followed by “[Pittsburgh’s] depth and our play right now … it doesn’t look too good.”
As for how Alfredsson’s words will affect the club, well — that remains to be seen.
The Sens were all over the place with their postgame remarks last night, confirming the theory that, in terms of sending messages, all the important stuff is probably said behind closed doors.
To wit, head coach Paul MacLean spent exactly 13 seconds addressing the media, during which he held up the scoresheet and said his club would be ready to play in Pittsburgh for Game 5.
As for the Penguins, they seem to be taking Ottawa’s public comments with a grain of salt. James Neal said he heard Alfredsson’s comments, and replied “I don’t think they’re going to roll over.”
Matt Cooke had an ever stronger message.
“Ottawa’s a team that has no quit,” he said.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)