May 23, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
After receiving plenty of attention for comments made following a 7-3 loss to Pittsburgh on Wednesday, Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson cleared the air.
Alfredsson — who said “probably not” when a reporter asked if Ottawa could come back from a 3-1 series deficit — tried to explain where he was coming from on Thursday.
“There’s no denying we’re in tough,” he told NHL.com’s Arpon Basu. “Was it taken out of context? Probably, but that’s fine. I can handle that.”
Speaking of context, here’s how Alfie’s Game 4 comments unfolded:
The controversial quotes, obviously, are the “probably not,” followed by “[Pittsburgh’s] depth and our play right now … it doesn’t look too good.”
As for how Alfredsson’s words will affect the club, well — that remains to be seen.
The Sens were all over the place with their postgame remarks last night, confirming the theory that, in terms of sending messages, all the important stuff is probably said behind closed doors.
To wit, head coach Paul MacLean spent exactly 13 seconds addressing the media, during which he held up the scoresheet and said his club would be ready to play in Pittsburgh for Game 5.
As for the Penguins, they seem to be taking Ottawa’s public comments with a grain of salt. James Neal said he heard Alfredsson’s comments, and replied “I don’t think they’re going to roll over.”
Matt Cooke had an ever stronger message.
“Ottawa’s a team that has no quit,” he said.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)