May 23, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
After receiving plenty of attention for comments made following a 7-3 loss to Pittsburgh on Wednesday, Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson cleared the air.
Alfredsson — who said “probably not” when a reporter asked if Ottawa could come back from a 3-1 series deficit — tried to explain where he was coming from on Thursday.
“There’s no denying we’re in tough,” he told NHL.com’s Arpon Basu. “Was it taken out of context? Probably, but that’s fine. I can handle that.”
Speaking of context, here’s how Alfie’s Game 4 comments unfolded:
The controversial quotes, obviously, are the “probably not,” followed by “[Pittsburgh's] depth and our play right now … it doesn’t look too good.”
As for how Alfredsson’s words will affect the club, well — that remains to be seen.
The Sens were all over the place with their postgame remarks last night, confirming the theory that, in terms of sending messages, all the important stuff is probably said behind closed doors.
To wit, head coach Paul MacLean spent exactly 13 seconds addressing the media, during which he held up the scoresheet and said his club would be ready to play in Pittsburgh for Game 5.
As for the Penguins, they seem to be taking Ottawa’s public comments with a grain of salt. James Neal said he heard Alfredsson’s comments, and replied “I don’t think they’re going to roll over.”
Matt Cooke had an ever stronger message.
“Ottawa’s a team that has no quit,” he said.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)