May 23, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
After receiving plenty of attention for comments made following a 7-3 loss to Pittsburgh on Wednesday, Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson cleared the air.
Alfredsson — who said “probably not” when a reporter asked if Ottawa could come back from a 3-1 series deficit — tried to explain where he was coming from on Thursday.
“There’s no denying we’re in tough,” he told NHL.com’s Arpon Basu. “Was it taken out of context? Probably, but that’s fine. I can handle that.”
Speaking of context, here’s how Alfie’s Game 4 comments unfolded:
The controversial quotes, obviously, are the “probably not,” followed by “[Pittsburgh’s] depth and our play right now … it doesn’t look too good.”
As for how Alfredsson’s words will affect the club, well — that remains to be seen.
The Sens were all over the place with their postgame remarks last night, confirming the theory that, in terms of sending messages, all the important stuff is probably said behind closed doors.
To wit, head coach Paul MacLean spent exactly 13 seconds addressing the media, during which he held up the scoresheet and said his club would be ready to play in Pittsburgh for Game 5.
As for the Penguins, they seem to be taking Ottawa’s public comments with a grain of salt. James Neal said he heard Alfredsson’s comments, and replied “I don’t think they’re going to roll over.”
Matt Cooke had an ever stronger message.
“Ottawa’s a team that has no quit,” he said.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)