May 23, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
After receiving plenty of attention for comments made following a 7-3 loss to Pittsburgh on Wednesday, Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson cleared the air.
Alfredsson — who said “probably not” when a reporter asked if Ottawa could come back from a 3-1 series deficit — tried to explain where he was coming from on Thursday.
“There’s no denying we’re in tough,” he told NHL.com’s Arpon Basu. “Was it taken out of context? Probably, but that’s fine. I can handle that.”
Speaking of context, here’s how Alfie’s Game 4 comments unfolded:
The controversial quotes, obviously, are the “probably not,” followed by “[Pittsburgh’s] depth and our play right now … it doesn’t look too good.”
As for how Alfredsson’s words will affect the club, well — that remains to be seen.
The Sens were all over the place with their postgame remarks last night, confirming the theory that, in terms of sending messages, all the important stuff is probably said behind closed doors.
To wit, head coach Paul MacLean spent exactly 13 seconds addressing the media, during which he held up the scoresheet and said his club would be ready to play in Pittsburgh for Game 5.
As for the Penguins, they seem to be taking Ottawa’s public comments with a grain of salt. James Neal said he heard Alfredsson’s comments, and replied “I don’t think they’re going to roll over.”
Matt Cooke had an ever stronger message.
“Ottawa’s a team that has no quit,” he said.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)