May 22, 2013, 7:58 PM EDT
Recently fired Vancouver Canucks coach Alain Vigneault won’t talk to the media at this time, but he did issue a statement. In it, he expressed his gratitude to the Canucks organization.
“The past seven years have been an honor for me to coach and work for a great franchise in a wonderful Canadian city,” Vigneault said. “To work in a city with such passionate and loyal fans is a privilege – I enjoyed every moment of it.”
And just in case there was any speculation to the contrary, the 52-year-old wants to make it very clear that he’s not done.
“I am a career coach and it is what I love to do,” Vigneault said. “I hope to coach again in this League and will always have good memories of my time and the fans in Vancouver.”
Vigneault has a 422-288-35-61 career coaching record and shouldn’t have any problem finding a new team. The Dallas Stars and the Colorado Avalanche are two possibilities for Vigneault.
Other opportunities might present themselves in the near future.
Either way, Vigneault feels proud about a lot of what the Canucks accomplished during his tenure, but he does have one big regret.
“I…only wish we were able to win the Canucks first Stanley Cup,” Vigneault said.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)