May 22, 2013, 7:58 PM EDT
Recently fired Vancouver Canucks coach Alain Vigneault won’t talk to the media at this time, but he did issue a statement. In it, he expressed his gratitude to the Canucks organization.
“The past seven years have been an honor for me to coach and work for a great franchise in a wonderful Canadian city,” Vigneault said. “To work in a city with such passionate and loyal fans is a privilege – I enjoyed every moment of it.”
And just in case there was any speculation to the contrary, the 52-year-old wants to make it very clear that he’s not done.
“I am a career coach and it is what I love to do,” Vigneault said. “I hope to coach again in this League and will always have good memories of my time and the fans in Vancouver.”
Vigneault has a 422-288-35-61 career coaching record and shouldn’t have any problem finding a new team. The Dallas Stars and the Colorado Avalanche are two possibilities for Vigneault.
Other opportunities might present themselves in the near future.
Either way, Vigneault feels proud about a lot of what the Canucks accomplished during his tenure, but he does have one big regret.
“I…only wish we were able to win the Canucks first Stanley Cup,” Vigneault said.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 13
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 7
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 30
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)