May 22, 2013, 7:58 PM EDT
Recently fired Vancouver Canucks coach Alain Vigneault won’t talk to the media at this time, but he did issue a statement. In it, he expressed his gratitude to the Canucks organization.
“The past seven years have been an honor for me to coach and work for a great franchise in a wonderful Canadian city,” Vigneault said. “To work in a city with such passionate and loyal fans is a privilege – I enjoyed every moment of it.”
And just in case there was any speculation to the contrary, the 52-year-old wants to make it very clear that he’s not done.
“I am a career coach and it is what I love to do,” Vigneault said. “I hope to coach again in this League and will always have good memories of my time and the fans in Vancouver.”
Vigneault has a 422-288-35-61 career coaching record and shouldn’t have any problem finding a new team. The Dallas Stars and the Colorado Avalanche are two possibilities for Vigneault.
Other opportunities might present themselves in the near future.
Either way, Vigneault feels proud about a lot of what the Canucks accomplished during his tenure, but he does have one big regret.
“I…only wish we were able to win the Canucks first Stanley Cup,” Vigneault said.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 28
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)