Vigneault: ‘I hope to coach again’ in the NHL

May 22, 2013, 7:58 PM EDT

Vancouver Canucks v Boston Bruins - Game Six Getty Images

Recently fired Vancouver Canucks coach Alain Vigneault won’t talk to the media at this time, but he did issue a statement. In it, he expressed his gratitude to the Canucks organization.

“The past seven years have been an honor for me to coach and work for a great franchise in a wonderful Canadian city,” Vigneault said. “To work in a city with such passionate and loyal fans is a privilege – I enjoyed every moment of it.”

And just in case there was any speculation to the contrary, the 52-year-old wants to make it very clear that he’s not done.

“I am a career coach and it is what I love to do,” Vigneault said. “I hope to coach again in this League and will always have good memories of my time and the fans in Vancouver.”

Vigneault has a 422-288-35-61 career coaching record and shouldn’t have any problem finding a new team. The Dallas Stars and the Colorado Avalanche are two possibilities for Vigneault.

The Avalanche might be leaning towards Patrick Roy, but Vigneault entering the market gives the Avalanche something else to think about.

Other opportunities might present themselves in the near future.

Either way, Vigneault feels proud about a lot of what the Canucks accomplished during his tenure, but he does have one big regret.

“I…only wish we were able to win the Canucks first Stanley Cup,” Vigneault said.

1. sanjosecupcrazy - May 22, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Too bad we won’t have you to beat around anymore, AV. Bring on the fresh meat!

2. pastabelly - May 22, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I guess losing ten playoff games in a row is now justification to fire someone. Go figure.

3. 19to77 - May 22, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Montreal should consider sacking Therrien in favour of AV. Therrien did alright in the regular season, but that playoff series against Ottawa reminded the NHL at large of the reason he’s not been a head coach in a few years. Put him and his team under a little pressure and out come the tears and accusations and excuse-making in a heartbeat.

• freneticgarfieldfan - May 23, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Exactly this would continue with AV – remind the winers & divers of his last team.

• valoisvipers - May 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM

So replace one whiner with another whiner, doesn’t make sense but I do agree I would rather have AV and his whining than that drunk Therrien.

• colby7 - May 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM

That would like the hockey cirlce of life. AV breaks in as Head Coach of MTL, is fired and replaced by… Therrien. Fast forward ten years and Therrien is replaced by AV? It would be awesome but how does that make MTL look.

AV had some great coaching battles during his run in Van, some memorable ones vs Quenninville and the Final vs Julien.

As a Vancouver fan, AV’s biggest strength is his loyalty to his players. Remeber the Burrows incidences? AV always had the answers and took alot of the heat himself.

I would of prefered to see just the Assistants go. Canucks powerplay has been figured out and N. Brown had to go!

4. hsnepsts - May 22, 2013 at 9:13 PM

AV is a patient coach. He’s a grassroots team builder. He needs to be teamed with a GM that wants to build a franchise slowly, from the ground up.

5. alicesrightfootesq - May 22, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Enjoy Dallas.

6. bigoldorcafromvan - May 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM

AV thankyou for the way you coached and entertained me and a lot of the Vancouver Fans. You are a class act and a very nice person. Your time has ran out in Van and I hope you the best where ever you go. To bad some of the Vancouver so called fans didn.t have your class. Good Luck.

7. vanindeed - May 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM

AV is an excellent coach and will be in the NHL as long as he wants to be. He wasn’t the problem

8. hawkeedawg - May 23, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Thank You AV. I personally had the privilege to meet you a few times and you are a true leader, on and off the ice. You gave us fans the best 5 years in franchise history and the team and individual awards that were accumulated over your time here are a testament to your professionalism and standards. Its too bad the players couldn’t deliver for you.

9. vanfoodman - May 23, 2013 at 1:49 AM

AV wins the cup before Gillis!

10. gizzmonic - May 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM

The Rangers will have an opening soon

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches