May 22, 2013, 1:29 AM EDT
One goal separated the L.A. Kings from potentially sending Game 4 of their Western Conference semifinal with the San Jose Sharks to overtime.
This only magnifies what took place in the second period of Tuesday’s game, which ended in a 2-1 loss for the Kings. The best-of-seven series is now tied at two-games apiece.
With just under 14 minutes remaining in the second period, and down two goals, the Kings appeared to get on the board with a goal of their own.
A point shut made its way through Sharks’ goalie Antti Niemi and the puck was clearly loose, on its way to the goal line, when the play was blown dead.
Kings’ forward Dustin Penner got his stick on the puck, banging it into the open the net, however the whistle had already gone.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 4
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 9
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 20
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 36
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 33
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)