May 22, 2013, 1:29 AM EST
One goal separated the L.A. Kings from potentially sending Game 4 of their Western Conference semifinal with the San Jose Sharks to overtime.
This only magnifies what took place in the second period of Tuesday’s game, which ended in a 2-1 loss for the Kings. The best-of-seven series is now tied at two-games apiece.
With just under 14 minutes remaining in the second period, and down two goals, the Kings appeared to get on the board with a goal of their own.
A point shut made its way through Sharks’ goalie Antti Niemi and the puck was clearly loose, on its way to the goal line, when the play was blown dead.
Kings’ forward Dustin Penner got his stick on the puck, banging it into the open the net, however the whistle had already gone.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)