May 22, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks have been limited to just two goals over their last two games and whenever a team endures a slump like that, no one player is exclusively to blame — but any player could potentially step up and make the difference.
The Blackhawks are used to relying on captain Jonathan Toews in clutch situations, but so far he has no goals and three assists in eight postseason contests.
It’s not for lack of trying though. Toews managed seven shots on Detroit Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard on Monday and was denied every time.
“I’m not going to let it get the best of me,” said Toews in a Toronto Sun report. “I know I’m doing some good things and helping my linemates get some chances and be smart defensively.
“I’m very confident it’s going to come. As a team, we’re facing a little adversity and so am I on a personal basis. It doesn’t stop me and it doesn’t stop us as a team.”
Red Wings coach Mike Babcock certainly isn’t counting on Toews’ struggles getting under his skin.
“He’s an Olympic champion, a Stanley Cup champion, a world junior champion,” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. “I’ve coached him. He’s mentally tough.”
Toews will get another chance to end his slump on Thursday. Detroit has taken a 2-1 series lead so, for the first time this year, the pressure is on Chicago and Toews to win.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)