May 22, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks have been limited to just two goals over their last two games and whenever a team endures a slump like that, no one player is exclusively to blame — but any player could potentially step up and make the difference.
The Blackhawks are used to relying on captain Jonathan Toews in clutch situations, but so far he has no goals and three assists in eight postseason contests.
It’s not for lack of trying though. Toews managed seven shots on Detroit Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard on Monday and was denied every time.
“I’m not going to let it get the best of me,” said Toews in a Toronto Sun report. “I know I’m doing some good things and helping my linemates get some chances and be smart defensively.
“I’m very confident it’s going to come. As a team, we’re facing a little adversity and so am I on a personal basis. It doesn’t stop me and it doesn’t stop us as a team.”
Red Wings coach Mike Babcock certainly isn’t counting on Toews’ struggles getting under his skin.
“He’s an Olympic champion, a Stanley Cup champion, a world junior champion,” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. “I’ve coached him. He’s mentally tough.”
Toews will get another chance to end his slump on Thursday. Detroit has taken a 2-1 series lead so, for the first time this year, the pressure is on Chicago and Toews to win.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)