May 22, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks have been limited to just two goals over their last two games and whenever a team endures a slump like that, no one player is exclusively to blame — but any player could potentially step up and make the difference.
The Blackhawks are used to relying on captain Jonathan Toews in clutch situations, but so far he has no goals and three assists in eight postseason contests.
It’s not for lack of trying though. Toews managed seven shots on Detroit Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard on Monday and was denied every time.
“I’m not going to let it get the best of me,” said Toews in a Toronto Sun report. “I know I’m doing some good things and helping my linemates get some chances and be smart defensively.
“I’m very confident it’s going to come. As a team, we’re facing a little adversity and so am I on a personal basis. It doesn’t stop me and it doesn’t stop us as a team.”
Red Wings coach Mike Babcock certainly isn’t counting on Toews’ struggles getting under his skin.
“He’s an Olympic champion, a Stanley Cup champion, a world junior champion,” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. “I’ve coached him. He’s mentally tough.”
Toews will get another chance to end his slump on Thursday. Detroit has taken a 2-1 series lead so, for the first time this year, the pressure is on Chicago and Toews to win.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)