May 22, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks have been limited to just two goals over their last two games and whenever a team endures a slump like that, no one player is exclusively to blame — but any player could potentially step up and make the difference.
The Blackhawks are used to relying on captain Jonathan Toews in clutch situations, but so far he has no goals and three assists in eight postseason contests.
It’s not for lack of trying though. Toews managed seven shots on Detroit Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard on Monday and was denied every time.
“I’m not going to let it get the best of me,” said Toews in a Toronto Sun report. “I know I’m doing some good things and helping my linemates get some chances and be smart defensively.
“I’m very confident it’s going to come. As a team, we’re facing a little adversity and so am I on a personal basis. It doesn’t stop me and it doesn’t stop us as a team.”
Red Wings coach Mike Babcock certainly isn’t counting on Toews’ struggles getting under his skin.
“He’s an Olympic champion, a Stanley Cup champion, a world junior champion,” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. “I’ve coached him. He’s mentally tough.”
Toews will get another chance to end his slump on Thursday. Detroit has taken a 2-1 series lead so, for the first time this year, the pressure is on Chicago and Toews to win.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)