May 22, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will have a new look at forward on Wednesday night as Mark Stone will draw into the lineup for the first time this postseason — and just the fifth time all year.
Stone, 21, spent the majority of this season with Ottawa’s AHL affiliate in Binghamton (scoring 38 points in 54 games), appearing in just four regular-season contests with the Senators.
Sens head coach Paul MacLean could be playing a hunch here with Stone’s insertion into the lineup — a hunch he’s played before.
Last postseason, MacLean gave Stone his NHL debut in a Game 5 victory over the New York Rangers, and the rookie responded by assisting on Jason Spezza‘s game-winning tally in the first period.
It’s unclear who Stone will replace in the lineup tonight, though speculation suggests it might be Cory Conacher.
Conacher stayed out for extra work following the morning skate, usually an indicator of a player that’s about to be made a healthy scratch.
Update: It’s official — Conacher is out.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)