May 22, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
The Ottawa Senators will have a new look at forward on Wednesday night as Mark Stone will draw into the lineup for the first time this postseason — and just the fifth time all year.
Stone, 21, spent the majority of this season with Ottawa’s AHL affiliate in Binghamton (scoring 38 points in 54 games), appearing in just four regular-season contests with the Senators.
Sens head coach Paul MacLean could be playing a hunch here with Stone’s insertion into the lineup — a hunch he’s played before.
Last postseason, MacLean gave Stone his NHL debut in a Game 5 victory over the New York Rangers, and the rookie responded by assisting on Jason Spezza‘s game-winning tally in the first period.
It’s unclear who Stone will replace in the lineup tonight, though speculation suggests it might be Cory Conacher.
Conacher stayed out for extra work following the morning skate, usually an indicator of a player that’s about to be made a healthy scratch.
Update: It’s official — Conacher is out.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 16
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)