Video: Sens coach won’t take questions, refers press to game sheet

May 22, 2013, 10:59 PM EDT

Paul MacLean

Senators coach Paul MacLean wasn’t interested in answering any questions following Ottawa’s 7-3 defeat against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Do you want to know what went wrong?

“Everything’s right here,” MacLean said while pointing to the game sheet. “It’s 7-3. See you in Pittsburgh. We’re going to Pittsburgh, and we’re coming to play.”

And that was it.

MacLean’s Senators got off to a great start, but were overwhelmed by the Penguins in the third period. Ottawa is now down 3-1 in their second-round series.

Still, MacLean’s clearly not giving up.

Related:

Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series

1. sjsharks66 - May 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Fined by the league?!

• withseidelinn - May 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM

What would cause him to be fined for this? He didn’t say much…

• hockeyflow33 - May 23, 2013 at 2:13 AM

The league requires coaches and some players to be available for comment after games so that the slobs in the media can erroneously write up what went wrong in a game they never played

• bobhpine - May 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Weird. After beating Montreal 6-1, MacLean was eager to answer questions.

I wonder why he didn’t want to last night. Hmmm.

• trbowman - May 23, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Not that the Senators would win this series anyway, but the officiating has been atrocious. Pretty clear who the NHL wants to win this series.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I agree – it’s been clear that the officials were trying to keep ottawa in this series with lousy officiating – glad you see it too.

Sarcasm aside, the officiating has at least been consistently bad on both sides – they’ve swallowed their whistles, unless they absolutely have to call something. This has gone on all series. It’s easy to look at it as an OTT fan (for example) and NOT see Letang get boarded but see Karlsson get high-sticked (if he even did…I think his credibility is shot with the refs).

Outside of the first game when hell broke loose, Chris Neil has only had 6 PIMs for the past three games…it’s NOT because he’s cleaned up his act, that’s for sure….

• DonkeyStick - May 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM

ENOUGH with conspiracy theories!! You sound like the Philadelphia fans!

• drone501 - May 24, 2013 at 7:38 AM

no dont think so. pens dont need any outside help to win this thing.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 23, 2013 at 8:21 AM

It’s silly. What he SHOULD be fined by the league for is trying to play the equivalent of a 4-man trap while it’s 4 on 4, the Pens have the puck, and his team desparately needs goals. Did he think the Pens needed more points and had to play into it? That was idiotic.

For those Ottawa fans booing, I hope like hell they were booing their own team, I’d have been too. Wow…

2. stillerspensbuccos - May 22, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I believe the Sens came to play tonight also….look at how that worked for them

3. pdmjr - May 22, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Must have been talking to Torts in NY, what a jerk

• ucaneverscorenoughgoals - May 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I actually respect him more for not commenting than for making making excuses. If the reporters don’t like it, oh well.

Torts is completely different. He attacks reporters like a child.

• nothanksimdriving123 - May 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Ucan, first, I love your screen name!. Second, as a Leafs fan (cue laughter), I certainly am not cheering for Boston, but it is a weird kind of fun to see Torts suffering as his team falls behind (what a well-coached power play). That said, it would still be fun to see them come back and tie this up and see Bruins fans turn purple.

• ucaneverscorenoughgoals - May 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Yea, I’d actually like to see the rangers make a series out of this, and I’m a pens fan. The longer that series goes the better.

And yea I’m clearly a fan of offense. Don’t get me wrong goaltending and defense are important, but 2-1 games are like watching soccer……just passing the puck back and forth….sigh…………..If it were up to me I’d limit video prep of opposing teams tendencies to 30 mins per opponent prior to each game.

All the legal pick plays and defensive game planning just breakup the flow and creativity that makes hockey sooo special when the game is at it’s peak.

• chanceoffleury1 - May 23, 2013 at 1:13 AM

2-1 games aren’t always boring. Game 3 of this series was a beauty to watch! Well at least the first 59 minutes and 30 seconds were. In all seriousness there were a ton of exciting scoring chances on both sides in that game that any hockey fan could appreciate. As long as there are a lot of scoring chances and momentum changes any game can be exciting!

• ucaneverscorenoughgoals - May 23, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I respect your opinion, I just don’t agree. Failed scoring chances are exactly that…failure. 2-1 games just don’t do it for me.

Now if we take goaltenders back to normal size and a goaltender stands on his head, my hats off to him. But with all the technology we have, goaltenders are cheating in the same way juiced up homerun hitters were in the late 90’s….Their stats are inflated.

• johnstone17 - May 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I like the guy. Not much to say after that beating. He let the stat sheet do the talking.

4. murtdurt - May 22, 2013 at 11:19 PM

You mad bro?

5. capsfan19 - May 22, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Wait if thats verbatim why should he et fined by the league? Is the clarity that important? I didnt get to watch the game however i think the scoresheet does speak for itself….

• sfbookreviews - May 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I think, and I could be wrong, that coaches are required to give the post-game press conference and inherent in that is actually answering questions. So, in theory, saying one sentence (which didn’t answer the question) and walking out violates the spirit and could open him up to a fine.

I’m not saying he should be, I’m just saying I believe that’s why it says that. Sure sounds like something more likely to happen in the NFL, but you never know.

6. waynegretsky77 - May 23, 2013 at 1:04 AM

lebron greatest athlete of all time. very clutch. made two big layups today. four mvps, most efficient player ever according to espn. lebron took a crappy team to finals but jordan didnt win jack until he got pippen.

• xavier46 - May 23, 2013 at 1:12 AM

This is surely what MacLean really meant.

Thanks for the contribution and clearing it up!

• handsofsweed - May 23, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Nice. You’re the drunk that stumbles into the wrong house in the middle of the night and passes out/urinates himself on someone else’s couch. Good for you, uh….77?

• mordock57 - May 23, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Wait, you must be kidding me… A. He gets the number wrong with 77. B. He babbles about basketball in the hockey page. C. HE MISSPELLS GRETZKY?!?!? Sacrifice him to the hockey gods! They have been offended and must be appeased!

7. comeonnowguys - May 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Can’t blame him. At the rate these playoffs are going, If he makes even one reference to the officials, it will lead to headlines like “MACLEAN: OFFICIALS’ FAULT FOR LOSS, ANYTHING BAD IN LIFE.”

8. jpelle82 - May 23, 2013 at 10:43 AM

what was he supposed to say? i get that he’s supposed to answer questions but if i were him i would be hard pressed to not curse or get irritated with the reporters. i was really hoping someone would have asked what happened so he could respond with “oh, did you see karlsson laying on the ice pretending to be injured while kunitz scored on a breakaway to tie it 2-2. that was the turning point. game over after that.”

9. lostpuppysyndrome - May 23, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Best. Response. Ever. LOVE IT.

10. johnnyd76 - May 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I am a big PENS fan – have been all my life. But I got to say I admire the short, to-the-point press conference by the Ottawa coach. He knows what he’s got to do – and he decided to be blunt instead of slobbering to the media on why they lost. Props to MacClean – but more importantly, GO PENS!!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches