May 22, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
Fighting in the NHL has always been the subject of criticism within some circles, but it has nevertheless remained a part of the game. NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr might want to change that, based on a CBC/Radio-Canada report.
Recently, he’s been meeting with players on the issue and brought it up in an April 25 meeting with agents.
Please note that all quotes were originally in French and have been put through Google Translate.
“Nothing concrete has been announced to us, but I felt that Fehr was motivated by a genuine desire to address the issue of fighting,” said agent Robert Sauvé.
Former NHL player Gilles Lupien, who isn’t happy about the state of violence in hockey, was also in attendance.
“Fehr told us he was trying to understand the dynamics of fights and he was struggling to understand an athlete can get to defeat another or to injure him in the course of a game. It is a culture that has not known when was working in other sports,” Lupien explained.
Lupien wants to see coaches pushed for their players fights, believing that will address the problem.
Meanwhile Sauvé dismissed the argument that reducing fighting might hurt interest in the NHL.
“Look what’s happening in the QMJHL. Some measures have been taken in recent years to reduce the number of fights. There never was so little, and the audience have never been higher!”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- Erik Haula signs two-year extension with Wild (35)