May 22, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
Alex Burmistrov, the eighth overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, does not want to re-sign with the Winnipeg Jets upon becoming a restricted free agent in July — this according to a report in Wednesday’s Winnipeg Free Press.
Here’s more, from the Free Press’ Gary Lawless:
Burmistrov wished to be dealt at the trade deadline and the Jets worked in vain to move him. It appears a trade is still the preferred course of action.
Burmistrov and head coach Claude Noel beefed on and off over the past two seasons and the relationship hit an all-time low when the player was a healthy scratch four straight games in March.
The Jets attempted to trade Burmistrov and reportedly had discussions with the Ottawa Senators, Buffalo Sabres and New York Islanders at the deadline. The names Jakob Silfverberg, Drew Stafford and Kyle Okposo have all been attached to Burmistrov trade rumours.
Burmistrov’s a tantalizing talent that had a solid first year with the Jets in 2011-12 upon the move from Atlanta — as a 20-year-old, he scored 13G-15A-28PTS in 76 games.
But for all his offensive prowess, he’s come under scrutiny for his defensive game and overall two-way play.
Burmistrov’s in the final year of a three-year, $2.7 million contract that carried an annual cap hit of $1.5 million with performance and signing bonuses. Lawless reports the Jets must offer a five percent increase to his $810,000 base salary to retain his RFA negotiating rights, a deal Burmistrov is expected to reject.
From there, a situation will develop where the Jets would either seek to move Burmistrov in a trade, or see if another NHL club will make him an offer sheet.
The Free Press reached out to Burmistrov’s agent, Mark Gandler, who would only shoot down a possible third option — playing in Russia.
“The only question I’m going to answer is to say that Alex is not going to sign in the KHL,” Gandler said.
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)