May 22, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
Officiating is always a hot-button issue in the playoffs, but this year the button seems hotter than normal.
Last night in San Jose featured the latest controversial call of the 2013 postseason, when an early whistle cost the Los Angeles Kings a goal.
Now, referees are going to make mistakes — they’re only human and hockey is a fast game. Everyone screws up sometimes. Even you.
But there’s also the issue of consistency, i.e. the standard of officiating.
Bottom line: Players don’t seem to know what constitutes a penalty anymore. And frankly, sometimes we’re not sure the referees do either.
The fans, based on the comments we get at PHT, definitely don’t.
(Not that consistency is solely an NHL issue. How many times have baseball fans complained that some umps have massive strike zones while others are far less pitcher-friendly? In basketball, there are endless complaints about star players getting preferential treatment.)
So what, if anything, would you like to see done about the officiating in the NHL?
Does there need to be some sort of rules summit this offseason, where the league tries to get everyone on the same page?
Do refs need to be held more publicly accountable, if only to give the fans and players their pound of flesh when mistakes are made?
Does there need to be more video review?
Or, should everyone just stop whining?
We know you have ideas, so go share them.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 3
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)