May 22, 2013, 8:02 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks and Los Angeles Kings were dominate in their own building during the regular season, so it’s not surprising that the home team has won every game of their second-round series. With their series now essentially a best-of-three, the onus is on the Sharks to win at least one playoff contest at the Staples Center.
In the meantime though…
Ottawa Senators host Pittsburgh Penguins (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN/Live Extra)
Pittsburgh leads series 2-1
The Senators certainly lived up to their “pesky” label in Game 3. Pittsburgh nearly went up 3-0 in the series, but a shorthanded goal from Daniel Alfredsson with just 29 seconds left in regulation time tied the contest at 1. Colin Greening then netted the deciding goal for Ottawa at 7:39 of the second overtime period.
Now they have to find a way to do it again.
Alfredsson’s dramatic goal was only relevant because, for the first time in this series, the Senators found a way to contain the Penguins’ skilled forwards.
Sidney Crosby, who had a hat trick in Game 2, was held to just three shots on goal despite logging 33:08 minutes of ice time. Evgeni Malkin had 10 shots on goal, but Anderson consistently denied him to end Malkin’s nine-game points streak.
It will be interesting to see if Crosby and Malkin are both held off the scoresheet for a second straight game, but perhaps the bigger x-factor is James Neal. The 25-year-old forward has 61 goals in his last 120 regular season games, but he has just one goal and three points in the 2013 postseason. If he can get hot now, it would take some of the burden off of Malkin and Crosby going forward.
Meanwhile, the Senators are entering this game with a lot of confidence.
“You have to believe you belong here,” said defenseman Marc Methot. “Otherwise, what the hell are you doing? I can’t stress enough that guys in this room do believe that we can win. We just knocked off the second seed (the Montreal Canadiens) in the first round.”
Sep 5, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT
He’s Ottawa’s all-time leader in games played.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He’s wise to be patient with Carey Price cemented in the No. 1 spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
They previously visited Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Daniel Paille still looks for work.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $950K.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Friday’s interesting tidbits in one spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 16
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)