May 22, 2013, 2:23 AM EDT
Darryl Sutter didn’t rant about the officials, even though a replay shows a quick whistle led to his team getting denied a goal Tuesday.
The Kings were trailing the San Jose Sharks by two goals with 13:54 remaining in the second period of Game 4 in the Western Conference semifinal series, when it appeared they scored to cut the deficit.
Instead, the play was blown dead, even though the puck from a point shot had gotten through Sharks’ goalie Antti Niemi and was clearly visible, eventually knocked into the net by Dustin Penner. No goal.
The Kings went on to lose the game by a final score of 2-1, and the best-of-seven series is now tied 2-2.
“I’m sure it’s in the rule book, when the whistle goes … right?” Sutter, the Kings’ head coach, told reporters, as per NHL.com.
“What are the gonna come and tell us. They’re gonna come say they lost sight of the puck and they blew the whistle.”
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)