May 22, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators got off to a strong start tonight due in no small part to Milan Michalek‘s impressive shorthanded goal and goaltender Craig Anderson‘s early efforts. However the Penguins claimed the lead in the second and then the floodgates opened in the third period. What started as a hard fought contest ended as a 7-3 blowout.
Pittsburgh is now one win away from taking this series going into Game 5 on Friday (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN).
Here are some notes to chew on:
- Penguins forward James Neal had been struggling in the 2013 playoffs, but he came up big tonight with two goals and an assist.
- Ottawa and Pittsburgh are the only teams to have netted at least two shorthanded goals in the postseason.
- This actually marks the first game of this series that the Senators held a lead before the end of the contest.
- Going into this game, Ottawa outscored its opponents 16-1 after 40 minutes while Pittsburgh had allowed 10 goals and scored just six beyond the second period of playoff contests. So the Penguins’ 3-2 lead going into the third period was clearly not safe, but they managed to overcome that trend tonight.
- Daniel Alfredsson got his 100th career playoff point, but it came on an ultimately moot third-period goal.
- Although Anderson was pulled from this game, he was great in the first period. How much of this loss was his fault?
- Just as a fun side note: While the Penguins were overwhelming the Senators, their AHL-affiliate, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, earned a 5-0 victory over the Providence Bruins in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton fought back after falling behind in that series 3-0.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
He has his first two of these playoffs.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
Congrats to Pullar Stadium and War Memorial Arena.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
Congrats to Decatur and St. Michael-Albertville.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
Both will look to give their respective teams a 2-1 series lead.
Apr 18, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
He made 42 saves in Chicago’s Game 1 win.
Apr 18, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Puck drop for both games is at 3 p.m. ET.
Apr 18, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He won’t play Games 3 and 4.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
He could be suspended for Game 3.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
Neither will play Game 2 tonight.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
He received an instigator penalty late in Game 2.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:05 AM EDT
He’s been out since mid-March with an arm injury.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:51 AM EDT
Tampa Bay looks to avoid a sixth straight postseason loss.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:36 AM EDT
Another rough go for Crow.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:15 AM EDT
Crazy finish at Rogers Arena.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
Series now even at one.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:31 AM EDT
Talk about taking the game out of the officials’ hands.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
In Las Vegas.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:21 PM EDT
All the breaks seem to be going Chicago’s way.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Second key player Nashville’s lost in as many games.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:52 PM EDT
Not a great start to the playoffs for Corey Crawford.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 11
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 9
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 9
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 94
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)