May 22, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators got off to a strong start tonight due in no small part to Milan Michalek‘s impressive shorthanded goal and goaltender Craig Anderson‘s early efforts. However the Penguins claimed the lead in the second and then the floodgates opened in the third period. What started as a hard fought contest ended as a 7-3 blowout.
Pittsburgh is now one win away from taking this series going into Game 5 on Friday (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN).
Here are some notes to chew on:
- Penguins forward James Neal had been struggling in the 2013 playoffs, but he came up big tonight with two goals and an assist.
- Ottawa and Pittsburgh are the only teams to have netted at least two shorthanded goals in the postseason.
- This actually marks the first game of this series that the Senators held a lead before the end of the contest.
- Going into this game, Ottawa outscored its opponents 16-1 after 40 minutes while Pittsburgh had allowed 10 goals and scored just six beyond the second period of playoff contests. So the Penguins’ 3-2 lead going into the third period was clearly not safe, but they managed to overcome that trend tonight.
- Daniel Alfredsson got his 100th career playoff point, but it came on an ultimately moot third-period goal.
- Although Anderson was pulled from this game, he was great in the first period. How much of this loss was his fault?
- Just as a fun side note: While the Penguins were overwhelming the Senators, their AHL-affiliate, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, earned a 5-0 victory over the Providence Bruins in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton fought back after falling behind in that series 3-0.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
He’s lining up with Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron to start.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
A Vladimir Tarasenko hit shook him up on Tuesday.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Vermont power forward was the club’s third-round pick in 2011.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Featuring Erik Karlsson, Marc Methot and a guest appearance from Curtis Lazar.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT
The 43-year-old has been a big influence on his young linemates.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Granted, they have to make them first.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau continues to “experiment” on defense.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully we realize that, come together and allow this group to stay together.”
Mar 26, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
An interesting comment from his agent.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“We are all thinking the same way and going the same direction.”
Mar 26, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
Mar 26, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
Colgate standout inks deal, will report to team.
Mar 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Well, that clears it up.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:57 PM EDT
Was a Hobey Baker and Mike Richter Award finalist in 2014.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Click for the video explanation.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
“We will continue to monitor the situation closely and until the continuing legal process is completed, we will have no further comment.”
Mar 26, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
He was the club’s third-round pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:04 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Triple Gold Club member won a World Championship and Olympic Gold in 2006, and a Stanley Cup in 2008.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)