May 22, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators got off to a strong start tonight due in no small part to Milan Michalek‘s impressive shorthanded goal and goaltender Craig Anderson‘s early efforts. However the Penguins claimed the lead in the second and then the floodgates opened in the third period. What started as a hard fought contest ended as a 7-3 blowout.
Pittsburgh is now one win away from taking this series going into Game 5 on Friday (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN).
Here are some notes to chew on:
- Penguins forward James Neal had been struggling in the 2013 playoffs, but he came up big tonight with two goals and an assist.
- Ottawa and Pittsburgh are the only teams to have netted at least two shorthanded goals in the postseason.
- This actually marks the first game of this series that the Senators held a lead before the end of the contest.
- Going into this game, Ottawa outscored its opponents 16-1 after 40 minutes while Pittsburgh had allowed 10 goals and scored just six beyond the second period of playoff contests. So the Penguins’ 3-2 lead going into the third period was clearly not safe, but they managed to overcome that trend tonight.
- Daniel Alfredsson got his 100th career playoff point, but it came on an ultimately moot third-period goal.
- Although Anderson was pulled from this game, he was great in the first period. How much of this loss was his fault?
- Just as a fun side note: While the Penguins were overwhelming the Senators, their AHL-affiliate, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, earned a 5-0 victory over the Providence Bruins in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton fought back after falling behind in that series 3-0.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)