May 22, 2013, 5:18 PM EDT
Rookie defenseman Danny DeKeyser (broken thumb) still hopes to play again for the Red Wings this postseason.
“As long as they keep winning here, that just gives me a better chance for a return with every win,” DeKeyser said, per ESPN. “I’m just hoping that the guys in here can keep winning and keep improving along the way. Hopefully, I’ll get a chance in a playoff game again.”
After undergoing a procedure that involved the insertion of a plate and screws into his hand, the 23-year-old was originally supposed to be sidelined until July.
Now, he’s talking about playing in the Western Conference finals — if the Wings make it there.
DeKeyser — a steady, though not spectacular, blue-liner that skates well and makes a good first pass — signed with Detroit this season after a standout career at Western Michigan University.
Game 4 of the Wings’ series with the favored Blackhawks goes Thursday at Joe Louis Arena. Detroit leads the series, 2-1.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)