May 22, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
The ongoing saga to find an owner for the Phoenix Coyotes took another turn when columnist Réjean Tremblay told 98.5 Sports that Quebecor Inc. has begun negotiations to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes.
Quebecor is one of Canada’s largest communications companies, owning a number of newspapers, magazines, broadcast and Internet properties. Recently, Quebecor has moved into the sporting realm by acquiring the naming rights and a management contract for the new Quebec City arena.
(Of note, Tremblay’s paper — Le Journal de Montreal — is owned by the Sun Media division of Quebecor Media.)
Such a move would add fuel to the speculation that the Coyotes might be relocated to Quebec City — if such talks are taking place. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly was quick to deny that they’re negotiating with Quebecor, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie.
This comes after reports that California businessman Darin Pastor attempted to buy the team but was turned down by the NHL. Back in March there were reports that an investment banker from Alberta was working on a proposal to present to the NHL.
Ice Edge Holdings and Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer might also be in the picture.
Update: Quebecor has also shot down the rumors, saying any talk of them purchasing the Coyotes is “completely false.”
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 0
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 7
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 31
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)