May 22, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
The ongoing saga to find an owner for the Phoenix Coyotes took another turn when columnist Réjean Tremblay told 98.5 Sports that Quebecor Inc. has begun negotiations to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes.
Quebecor is one of Canada’s largest communications companies, owning a number of newspapers, magazines, broadcast and Internet properties. Recently, Quebecor has moved into the sporting realm by acquiring the naming rights and a management contract for the new Quebec City arena.
(Of note, Tremblay’s paper — Le Journal de Montreal — is owned by the Sun Media division of Quebecor Media.)
Such a move would add fuel to the speculation that the Coyotes might be relocated to Quebec City — if such talks are taking place. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly was quick to deny that they’re negotiating with Quebecor, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie.
This comes after reports that California businessman Darin Pastor attempted to buy the team but was turned down by the NHL. Back in March there were reports that an investment banker from Alberta was working on a proposal to present to the NHL.
Ice Edge Holdings and Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer might also be in the picture.
Update: Quebecor has also shot down the rumors, saying any talk of them purchasing the Coyotes is “completely false.”
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 19
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 18
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 28
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)