May 22, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
The ongoing saga to find an owner for the Phoenix Coyotes took another turn when columnist Réjean Tremblay told 98.5 Sports that Quebecor Inc. has begun negotiations to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes.
Quebecor is one of Canada’s largest communications companies, owning a number of newspapers, magazines, broadcast and Internet properties. Recently, Quebecor has moved into the sporting realm by acquiring the naming rights and a management contract for the new Quebec City arena.
(Of note, Tremblay’s paper — Le Journal de Montreal — is owned by the Sun Media division of Quebecor Media.)
Such a move would add fuel to the speculation that the Coyotes might be relocated to Quebec City — if such talks are taking place. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly was quick to deny that they’re negotiating with Quebecor, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie.
This comes after reports that California businessman Darin Pastor attempted to buy the team but was turned down by the NHL. Back in March there were reports that an investment banker from Alberta was working on a proposal to present to the NHL.
Ice Edge Holdings and Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer might also be in the picture.
Update: Quebecor has also shot down the rumors, saying any talk of them purchasing the Coyotes is “completely false.”
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)