May 22, 2013, 10:17 AM EST
The ongoing saga to find an owner for the Phoenix Coyotes took another turn when columnist Réjean Tremblay told 98.5 Sports that Quebecor Inc. has begun negotiations to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes.
Quebecor is one of Canada’s largest communications companies, owning a number of newspapers, magazines, broadcast and Internet properties. Recently, Quebecor has moved into the sporting realm by acquiring the naming rights and a management contract for the new Quebec City arena.
(Of note, Tremblay’s paper — Le Journal de Montreal — is owned by the Sun Media division of Quebecor Media.)
Such a move would add fuel to the speculation that the Coyotes might be relocated to Quebec City — if such talks are taking place. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly was quick to deny that they’re negotiating with Quebecor, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie.
This comes after reports that California businessman Darin Pastor attempted to buy the team but was turned down by the NHL. Back in March there were reports that an investment banker from Alberta was working on a proposal to present to the NHL.
Ice Edge Holdings and Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer might also be in the picture.
Update: Quebecor has also shot down the rumors, saying any talk of them purchasing the Coyotes is “completely false.”
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)