May 22, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Eakins — a 46-year-old former NHLer — has been the head coach of the AHL’s Toronto Marlies for the past four seasons. Last year, he led them all the way to the Calder Cup finals. (After which he signed a three-year contract, with an NHL out.)
“I’m fully aware there’s been some coaching changes and there’s opportunities out there,” Eakins said, per the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle.
“Will we look at them? Absolutely.”
Coaching vacancies also exist in Dallas and Colorado.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5