May 22, 2013, 11:40 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins earned a 7-3 victory against Ottawa tonight, but it was their AHL-affiliates that made history.
Boston’s farm team, the Providence Bruins, took a 3-0 series lead against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in the Eastern Conference semifinals. However, the Penguins earned four straight wins including a 5-0 victory on Wednesday to become just the third team in the league’s 77-year history to overcome that kind of a deficit, according to AHL.com.
Of course, this will no doubt bring up memories of Boston’s collapse from a 3-0 series lead against the Philadelphia Flyers in the 2010 NHL Eastern Conference semifinals.
In fact, 35-year-old forward Trent Whitfield has now had the misfortune of being on the wrong end of history twice, as The Hockey Writers’ Wayne Whittaker pointed out.
Of course, the Boston Bruins bounced back from their humiliation and won the Stanley Cup in 2011. Perhaps that will comfort Providence as they reflect on this series.
It’s also worth adding that Providence was without defenseman Matt Bartkowski and Torey Krug for most of this series. Bartkowski played in five postseason contests with Providence, but didn’t play at all against the Penguins. Krug participated in the first two games before also being summoned by Boston.
Meanwhile, Boston has a 3-0 lead on the New York Rangers going into Game 4 on Thursday.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Big boost for Nashville, who hosts Edmonton tonight.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
That’s the feeling, at least.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
Florida’s No. 1 left Wednesday’s game early.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Nov 27, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Center had a career-high 18 goals and 39 points last year.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:59 AM EST
Not listed: glorious gluttony.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:58 AM EST
“It’s pretty easy to see things slipping away,” Steve Mason said.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 AM EST
The hit generated a five-minute major and game misconduct.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:18 AM EST
Turkey Day’s assortment of links.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Callahan and Stamkos lead the way in win over Rangers.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
Avs fall 3-2 to the Blackhawks.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Returned after missing four games due to injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
The Pittsburgh captain reaches point No. 800 in the win.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:20 PM EST
Scores his seventh of the season.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Also touches on Martin St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
Appeared to hurt his left shoulder. Team calling it an upper body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:42 PM EST
The Winnipeg forward was tossed from the game.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
Has the game’s opening goal tonight.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
Gets a double-minor on the play.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Spent 13 seasons in Tampa Bay.
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 7
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 15
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 17
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)