May 21, 2013, 11:07 PM EDT
Johnny Boychuk has suddenly found his scoring touch.
Boychuk has four goals in these Stanley Cup playoffs, including the tying goal in what turned into a 2-1 Boston Bruins victory over the New York Rangers in Game 3 of that Eastern Conference semifinal.
The Bruins are one win away from sweeping the Rangers and returning to the Eastern Conference final for the second time in the last three years.
Now the 29-year-old defenseman, who had all of one goal in 44 games during the regular season, wants to meet hockey’s greatest all-time scorer, Wayne Gretzky.
Dan Rosen, a senior writer for NHL.com, documented on Twitter an interesting post-game exchange between Boychuk and teammate Jaromir Jagr. The discussion revolved around Gretzky, The Great One, who was in attendance at Madison Square Garden.
As per a tweet from Rosen, this is what Boychuk had to say: “Jags, did you see Gretzky is here, think I can meet him, shake his hand?”
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)