May 21, 2013, 11:07 PM EDT
Johnny Boychuk has suddenly found his scoring touch.
Boychuk has four goals in these Stanley Cup playoffs, including the tying goal in what turned into a 2-1 Boston Bruins victory over the New York Rangers in Game 3 of that Eastern Conference semifinal.
The Bruins are one win away from sweeping the Rangers and returning to the Eastern Conference final for the second time in the last three years.
Now the 29-year-old defenseman, who had all of one goal in 44 games during the regular season, wants to meet hockey’s greatest all-time scorer, Wayne Gretzky.
Dan Rosen, a senior writer for NHL.com, documented on Twitter an interesting post-game exchange between Boychuk and teammate Jaromir Jagr. The discussion revolved around Gretzky, The Great One, who was in attendance at Madison Square Garden.
As per a tweet from Rosen, this is what Boychuk had to say: “Jags, did you see Gretzky is here, think I can meet him, shake his hand?”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)