May 21, 2013, 11:07 PM EDT
Johnny Boychuk has suddenly found his scoring touch.
Boychuk has four goals in these Stanley Cup playoffs, including the tying goal in what turned into a 2-1 Boston Bruins victory over the New York Rangers in Game 3 of that Eastern Conference semifinal.
The Bruins are one win away from sweeping the Rangers and returning to the Eastern Conference final for the second time in the last three years.
Now the 29-year-old defenseman, who had all of one goal in 44 games during the regular season, wants to meet hockey’s greatest all-time scorer, Wayne Gretzky.
Dan Rosen, a senior writer for NHL.com, documented on Twitter an interesting post-game exchange between Boychuk and teammate Jaromir Jagr. The discussion revolved around Gretzky, The Great One, who was in attendance at Madison Square Garden.
As per a tweet from Rosen, this is what Boychuk had to say: “Jags, did you see Gretzky is here, think I can meet him, shake his hand?”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)