May 21, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Of the 20 goals the San Jose Sharks have scored in the playoffs, nine of them have come on the power play.
For Sharks coach Todd McLellan, it’s a bit of a good news-bad news thing. While he loves the special-teams production, he knows he can’t count on it to last.
“There’s no guarantee you’re going to continue to get multiple goals on the power play on any given night. We have to find ways to score goals at even strength,” McLellan said today, per CSN Bay Area.
Both of San Jose’s goals in Saturday’s 2-1 overtime victory over the Kings came with the man advantage.
“You take the power plays out of it, they win 1-0, they’re up 3-0 (in the series) and we’re in big trouble,” said McLellan. “Five on five, I liked our play. I liked the fact we did create some chances, but it has to go over the goal line for us to have success.”
In other Sharks news, Logan Couture says he’s “all good” after missing part of Game 3 with a leg injury.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)