May 21, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
It’s been two weeks since Nashville goalie Pekka Rinne underwent surgery to correct a degenerative condition in his hip and, while the recovery will be lengthy, he says it’s going to benefit him in the long run.
“I’m positive it will be better,” Rinne told The Tennessean. “Right now I’m just happy it’s taken care of and hopefully I can return stronger. I’m sure once I get back on the ice, I’ll notice the biggest differences.”
Rinne said the injury put him in pain all of last season, but refused to use it as an excuse for his play — which wasn’t especially poor anyway.
His numbers were down from the stellar ones posted during 2011-12 (when he earned a Vezina nomination) but still solid: 2.43 GAA, .910 save percentage and five shutouts, tying for the NHL lead.
As for the present…
Rinne is still on crutches and could be for as many as six more weeks.
The overall recovery window for this type of procedure is four months — which would take him right up to the start of training camp — and, as a result, he’s opted to stay in Nashville for the summer rather than return to his native Finland.
The move probably came as a relief to the organization.
Nashville has plenty invested in Rinne (six more years and $42 million dollars, to be exact) and would like to monitor his recovery — though Rinne himself sounds optimistic about how it’ll go.
“It’s been really good,” he said of recovery thus far. “The swelling and inflammation went down right away and I was able to kind of start doing the rehab right away the first couple days.
“It’s been helping a whole lot and there’s no pain. It makes every day life a little more comfortable.”
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 2
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)