May 21, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for Nashville to find a replacement for Peter Horachek.
On Tuesday, the club announced the hiring of Phil Housley as its new assistant coach.
Housley will replace Horachek — who was fired on Monday — on Barry Trotz’s staff, and work alongside fellow assistant Lane Lambert.
“Phil brings a unique skill set to our coaching staff,” Preds GM David Poile said. “He was one of the most talented offensive defensemen to play in the NHL, and he has worked extensively with young players during his coaching career.
“He will continue to focus his efforts on our young defensemen and assisting on the power play.”
Housley ranks fourth all-time among NHL defensemen in points (1,232) and has achieved great success in his short head coaching career. He led Team USA to gold at the 2013 World Juniors, and served as an assistant to Joe Sacco at the ’13 World Championships, where the Americans captured bronze.
Housley will have plenty of quality young defensive prospects to work with in Nashville.
Chief among them is Ryan Ellis, the 11th overall pick in 2009 that, like Housley, is a diminutive offensive blueliner.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)