May 21, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for Nashville to find a replacement for Peter Horachek.
On Tuesday, the club announced the hiring of Phil Housley as its new assistant coach.
Housley will replace Horachek — who was fired on Monday — on Barry Trotz’s staff, and work alongside fellow assistant Lane Lambert.
“Phil brings a unique skill set to our coaching staff,” Preds GM David Poile said. “He was one of the most talented offensive defensemen to play in the NHL, and he has worked extensively with young players during his coaching career.
“He will continue to focus his efforts on our young defensemen and assisting on the power play.”
Housley ranks fourth all-time among NHL defensemen in points (1,232) and has achieved great success in his short head coaching career. He led Team USA to gold at the 2013 World Juniors, and served as an assistant to Joe Sacco at the ’13 World Championships, where the Americans captured bronze.
Housley will have plenty of quality young defensive prospects to work with in Nashville.
Chief among them is Ryan Ellis, the 11th overall pick in 2009 that, like Housley, is a diminutive offensive blueliner.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)