May 21, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
Stephane Roy is saying he was wrongly quoted by the Denver Post in a story that said his brother, Patrick, was going to be the new head coach of the Colorado Avalanche.
Instead, per L.A. Lariviere of TVA Sports, Stephane says he doesn’t know if a deal will be reached between his Hall-of-Fame brother and the Avs.
Following is how Stephane was originally quoted in the Denver Post: “They’re discussing the final details of an arrangement. Colorado is going to be very happy. Patrick is looking for a new challenge.”
Stephane also posted on Facebook that Patrick was going to be Colorado’s new coach.
But as the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater notes, that Facebook posting has since been taken down.
We’ll go ahead and second Dater’s speculation on what’s happening here:
My belief: the Avs and Roy are in negotiations on a possible deal. But until a deal is done, it’s not. This still may not happen at all. We just have to wait. Roy wanted a lot of money in 2009 to be the coach – my reporting said he wanted a four-year deal at $3 million per, while the Avs offered four years at $1.75 million per.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 3
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 13
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 16
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)