May 21, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
Stephane Roy is saying he was wrongly quoted by the Denver Post in a story that said his brother, Patrick, was going to be the new head coach of the Colorado Avalanche.
Instead, per L.A. Lariviere of TVA Sports, Stephane says he doesn’t know if a deal will be reached between his Hall-of-Fame brother and the Avs.
Following is how Stephane was originally quoted in the Denver Post: “They’re discussing the final details of an arrangement. Colorado is going to be very happy. Patrick is looking for a new challenge.”
Stephane also posted on Facebook that Patrick was going to be Colorado’s new coach.
But as the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater notes, that Facebook posting has since been taken down.
We’ll go ahead and second Dater’s speculation on what’s happening here:
My belief: the Avs and Roy are in negotiations on a possible deal. But until a deal is done, it’s not. This still may not happen at all. We just have to wait. Roy wanted a lot of money in 2009 to be the coach – my reporting said he wanted a four-year deal at $3 million per, while the Avs offered four years at $1.75 million per.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)