May 21, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
Stephane Roy is saying he was wrongly quoted by the Denver Post in a story that said his brother, Patrick, was going to be the new head coach of the Colorado Avalanche.
Instead, per L.A. Lariviere of TVA Sports, Stephane says he doesn’t know if a deal will be reached between his Hall-of-Fame brother and the Avs.
Following is how Stephane was originally quoted in the Denver Post: “They’re discussing the final details of an arrangement. Colorado is going to be very happy. Patrick is looking for a new challenge.”
Stephane also posted on Facebook that Patrick was going to be Colorado’s new coach.
But as the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater notes, that Facebook posting has since been taken down.
We’ll go ahead and second Dater’s speculation on what’s happening here:
My belief: the Avs and Roy are in negotiations on a possible deal. But until a deal is done, it’s not. This still may not happen at all. We just have to wait. Roy wanted a lot of money in 2009 to be the coach – my reporting said he wanted a four-year deal at $3 million per, while the Avs offered four years at $1.75 million per.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 0
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 19
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)