May 21, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
If you’re wondering how much importance the Sharks are putting on tonight’s Game 4 against the Kings, just ask Dan Boyle.
“It has to be 2-2 when we leave here,” Boyle told CSN Bay Area on Tuesday. “Has to be.”
The Sharks head into tonight’s action down 2-1 in the series, but on a high after Saturday’s thrilling OT victory — the win kept San Jose undefeated at HP Pavilion this postseason and prevented the Kings from taking a 3-0 stranglehold over the series.
Home ice has been a major theme thus far, and it’s probably why Boyle said what he did.
The Sharks have been dynamite at the Tank during the regular season and postseason, losing just twice in regulation in 27 games.
The Kings, meanwhile, have been virtually unstoppable at Staples — they’re riding a 12-game win streak there, and had the NHL’s best home record during the regular season — so it’s understandable that the Sharks don’t want to face a potential elimination game on Thursday when the series moves back to L.A.
Also of note?
In the regular season and playoffs combined, the Sharks are 0-4 at Staples this season and have been outscored 14-7.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)