May 21, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
If you’re wondering how much importance the Sharks are putting on tonight’s Game 4 against the Kings, just ask Dan Boyle.
“It has to be 2-2 when we leave here,” Boyle told CSN Bay Area on Tuesday. “Has to be.”
The Sharks head into tonight’s action down 2-1 in the series, but on a high after Saturday’s thrilling OT victory — the win kept San Jose undefeated at HP Pavilion this postseason and prevented the Kings from taking a 3-0 stranglehold over the series.
Home ice has been a major theme thus far, and it’s probably why Boyle said what he did.
The Sharks have been dynamite at the Tank during the regular season and postseason, losing just twice in regulation in 27 games.
The Kings, meanwhile, have been virtually unstoppable at Staples — they’re riding a 12-game win streak there, and had the NHL’s best home record during the regular season — so it’s understandable that the Sharks don’t want to face a potential elimination game on Thursday when the series moves back to L.A.
Also of note?
In the regular season and playoffs combined, the Sharks are 0-4 at Staples this season and have been outscored 14-7.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)