May 21, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
If you’re wondering how much importance the Sharks are putting on tonight’s Game 4 against the Kings, just ask Dan Boyle.
“It has to be 2-2 when we leave here,” Boyle told CSN Bay Area on Tuesday. “Has to be.”
The Sharks head into tonight’s action down 2-1 in the series, but on a high after Saturday’s thrilling OT victory — the win kept San Jose undefeated at HP Pavilion this postseason and prevented the Kings from taking a 3-0 stranglehold over the series.
Home ice has been a major theme thus far, and it’s probably why Boyle said what he did.
The Sharks have been dynamite at the Tank during the regular season and postseason, losing just twice in regulation in 27 games.
The Kings, meanwhile, have been virtually unstoppable at Staples — they’re riding a 12-game win streak there, and had the NHL’s best home record during the regular season — so it’s understandable that the Sharks don’t want to face a potential elimination game on Thursday when the series moves back to L.A.
Also of note?
In the regular season and playoffs combined, the Sharks are 0-4 at Staples this season and have been outscored 14-7.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 35
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 55
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)