May 21, 2013, 11:21 AM EST
The Los Angeles Kings are just 1-3 on the road in the playoffs this year, with their lone victory coming in overtime.
Justin Williams says that’s not good enough.
“We’ve played better at home,” Williams told the LA Daily News. “We’ve got a good home record, but we can’t rest and be comfortable with just being a great home team.
“We need to be killers on the road.”
Williams is right about the first part of his statement.
The Kings are riding a 12-game win streak at Staples and finished the regular season with the NHL’s best home record (19-4-1). This series also marks the first time since 1992 that they’ve held home-ice advantage, so their dominant run at Staples is even more important.
But, what about those road games?
One of LA’s biggest problems away from Staples is the inability to generate offense. The Kings have only scored six goals in their four road games, and three of those came in the aforementioned OT victory over the Blues in Game 5 of the opening round.
To that, Williams says he and the rest of LA’s regular point producers need to step up.
“It’s going to take our best players, myself at the top of the list, to get more offense,” Williams said. “Plain and simple, your guys who produced during the year need to produce just as much, if not more, during the playoffs.”
Williams, along with team captain Dustin Brown, has just three points through nine postseason games.
Dec 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EST
Last played in the NHL back in 2005-06.
Dec 18, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
“We have a lot of guys here,” says Patrik Elias.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
Tough times in T.O.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:36 PM EST
Both players are fortunate there was no serious injury.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:10 PM EST
Bruins GM had a chat with his mischievous player.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:08 PM EST
Detroit forward currently shelved while undergoing concussion protocol.
Dec 18, 2013, 2:21 PM EST
David Clarkson has two goals in 24 games.
Dec 18, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
Already ruled out for Thursday’s tilt vs. Montreal.
Dec 18, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
Just days after Lindy Ruff lamented the club’s lack of blueline experience.
Dec 18, 2013, 1:31 PM EST
Washington rookie will meet with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety on Thursday.
Dec 18, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Won’t take part in tonight’s rivalry game vs. the Rangers on NBCSN.
Dec 18, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
D-man was invited to Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp this summer.
Dec 18, 2013, 12:43 PM EST
That’s the “strong sense” one prominent hockey reporter is getting.
Dec 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Former Avalanche forward saw his career end after Todd Bertuzzi incident.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:54 AM EST
“There are multiple, easy avenues that seem like they’re the way to go but there are 30 teams in this league that are doing the same thing and trying to effect that ultimate goal and that’s to win the Stanley Cup.”
Dec 18, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
King Henrik hasn’t been so good since signing that big contract extension.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:12 AM EST
Rookie defenseman scored his first NHL goal earlier this week.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:01 AM EST
Vancouver defenseman was knocked out of Tuesday’s game following a tripping call.
Dec 18, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
Boston forward avoids supplemental discipline.
Dec 18, 2013, 9:45 AM EST
GM George McPhee said it was “a great hit.”
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 22
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 19
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 27
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 30
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 32
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 58
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)