May 21, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are just 1-3 on the road in the playoffs this year, with their lone victory coming in overtime.
Justin Williams says that’s not good enough.
“We’ve played better at home,” Williams told the LA Daily News. “We’ve got a good home record, but we can’t rest and be comfortable with just being a great home team.
“We need to be killers on the road.”
Williams is right about the first part of his statement.
The Kings are riding a 12-game win streak at Staples and finished the regular season with the NHL’s best home record (19-4-1). This series also marks the first time since 1992 that they’ve held home-ice advantage, so their dominant run at Staples is even more important.
But, what about those road games?
One of LA’s biggest problems away from Staples is the inability to generate offense. The Kings have only scored six goals in their four road games, and three of those came in the aforementioned OT victory over the Blues in Game 5 of the opening round.
To that, Williams says he and the rest of LA’s regular point producers need to step up.
“It’s going to take our best players, myself at the top of the list, to get more offense,” Williams said. “Plain and simple, your guys who produced during the year need to produce just as much, if not more, during the playoffs.”
Williams, along with team captain Dustin Brown, has just three points through nine postseason games.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)