May 21, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins are one win away from the Eastern Conference finals after coming back in the third period to take out the New York Rangers 2-1 in Game 3 and they’ve got their fourth line to thank for it.
Daniel Paille set up Johnny Boychuk‘s third period goal and scored the game-winner with just 3:31 left to play to take out a sluggish Rangers team. Tuukka Rask was again outstanding in goal for Boston stopping 23 shots in the win. Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist was his typical outstanding self in a losing effort stopping 32 shots.
Game 4 of the series is Thursday night at Madison Square Garden.
Here are your talking points:
— The Bruins’ fourth line wore out the Rangers all game long. With home ice and your pick of who to lineup against them, how is that allowed to happen from the New York perspective?
— If there’s anything Bruins fans will grump about it’ll be the distinct lack of power plays as the Rangers were not assessed a penalty in this game. It seems the Rangers are nothing but angels at home. We’re sure some of you have the tinfoil hats firmly planted on your head.
— Case in point to the previous statement: Ryan Callahan getting away with what would’ve been a double-minor for high-sticking on Zdeno Chara.
— The Rangers were able to get away with going down 0-2 to Washington in the previous round. Doing that against Boston this time around has proved to be a very bad plan. Unless their offense picks up and the defense tightens up, this series is just about over with.
— What more can you say about how bad the Rangers’ power play has been? Pierre McGuire ripped the Rangers “attack” during the second period saying it was disorganized. That’s just one word for it but a better one would be “abysmal.” They were 0-2 on the man advantage tonight.
Here are the highlights from Game 3:
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
And on the possibility of his client signing an offer sheet? “Well, we’ll have to see.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
“Justin has emerged as one of our most well-rounded and dependable defensemen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
“We’ve been told if we don’t give them what they want, they’ll be leaving town.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Veteran d-man just turned 40 years old.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
“That is significantly good to hear.”
Sep 17, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“I’ve been with the team for eight years, and I don’t know if I’ve been more disappointed about anything that’s been written,” said Pierre Dorion.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Enter Radim Vrbata.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
“I actually thought I had a great year up to the Olympic break and even after.”
Sep 17, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
“The tenor of the talks has been good, so we’ll keep going and keep working on it.”
Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Yet he says his contract status won’t be an issue this season.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
The Blues acquired him from Toronto.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)