May 21, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins are one win away from the Eastern Conference finals after coming back in the third period to take out the New York Rangers 2-1 in Game 3 and they’ve got their fourth line to thank for it.
Daniel Paille set up Johnny Boychuk‘s third period goal and scored the game-winner with just 3:31 left to play to take out a sluggish Rangers team. Tuukka Rask was again outstanding in goal for Boston stopping 23 shots in the win. Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist was his typical outstanding self in a losing effort stopping 32 shots.
Game 4 of the series is Thursday night at Madison Square Garden.
Here are your talking points:
— The Bruins’ fourth line wore out the Rangers all game long. With home ice and your pick of who to lineup against them, how is that allowed to happen from the New York perspective?
— If there’s anything Bruins fans will grump about it’ll be the distinct lack of power plays as the Rangers were not assessed a penalty in this game. It seems the Rangers are nothing but angels at home. We’re sure some of you have the tinfoil hats firmly planted on your head.
— Case in point to the previous statement: Ryan Callahan getting away with what would’ve been a double-minor for high-sticking on Zdeno Chara.
— The Rangers were able to get away with going down 0-2 to Washington in the previous round. Doing that against Boston this time around has proved to be a very bad plan. Unless their offense picks up and the defense tightens up, this series is just about over with.
— What more can you say about how bad the Rangers’ power play has been? Pierre McGuire ripped the Rangers “attack” during the second period saying it was disorganized. That’s just one word for it but a better one would be “abysmal.” They were 0-2 on the man advantage tonight.
Here are the highlights from Game 3:
Oct 22, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
“We’re not sharp mentally.”
Oct 22, 2014, 1:40 AM EDT
Wonder if the Devils fan behind him was a face-painter?
Oct 22, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Had the lead going into the third period.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
Do a little dance. Make some big saves. Shut out tonight.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
Toronto took this one over in the second period.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Is a call from the league next?
Oct 21, 2014, 10:54 PM EDT
David Desharnais with his first of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
No call on that play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
It’s gone from bad to worse for Vancouver.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Happened on an innocent enough play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Outplayed Philly big time in first period.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Bet that felt good.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Thought to be in against Chicago, but no.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
NHL Insider analyzes what the future has in store for the L.A. defenseman.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Check it out via the NBC Live Extra stream.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
“Nathan is a frustrated kid right now. He’s in constant pain.”
Oct 21, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
After watching the first five games of the season from the press box.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
‘Canes the only winless team in the league.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
For example, a really tough upcoming schedule. (But also goaltending and that defense.)
Oct 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
“It’s adversity for us but we’re going to come through it,” says Jarrett Stoll.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)