May 21, 2013, 5:22 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings have accomplished over the last four days what few teams were able to do throughout the entire NHL season:
Frustrate the Chicago Blackhawks.
Frustrated is exactly what the Blackhawks are as they trail their best-of-seven series with the Red Wings 2-1.
On Monday night, Detroit beat Chicago 3-1 in a game where everything boiled over. Chicago captain Jonathan Toews was visibly irate — he’s yet to score a goal this postseason and has just one point in this series — and the ‘Hawks were livid with a disallowed goal after Andrew Shaw was adjudged to have interfered with Jimmy Howard.
The Blackhawks’ frustrations also manifested into penalties. Chicago had 22 PIM to Detroit’s 10 in Game 3, including six penalties in the final period (which included Shaw’s 10-minute misconduct).
So, how is Detroit doing it?
One key has been Howard, who’s out-dueled Corey Crawford for most of this series. Howard has stopped 58 of his last 60 shots faced and has snuffed out the potent Chicago attack.
Zetterberg had a pair of assists in a 4-1 victory on Saturday and Datsyuk was at his sniping best on Monday, unleashing this wrister for his first goal of the series.
So yes, things are pretty good around Detroit Right now.
But one guy doesn’t want the players resting on their laurels.
Head coach Mike Babcock — who himself has impressed this postseason — was quick to point out the Wings have been great so far, but shouldn’t get too far ahead of themselves.
“Things are going in the right direction for us thus far in the series,” Babcock told the Detroit Free Press. “But let’s be honest. We haven’t done anything yet.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 0
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 19
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 12
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 26
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 8
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 42
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 42
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)