May 21, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have accomplished over the last four days what few teams were able to do throughout the entire NHL season:
Frustrate the Chicago Blackhawks.
Frustrated is exactly what the Blackhawks are as they trail their best-of-seven series with the Red Wings 2-1.
On Monday night, Detroit beat Chicago 3-1 in a game where everything boiled over. Chicago captain Jonathan Toews was visibly irate — he’s yet to score a goal this postseason and has just one point in this series — and the ‘Hawks were livid with a disallowed goal after Andrew Shaw was adjudged to have interfered with Jimmy Howard.
The Blackhawks’ frustrations also manifested into penalties. Chicago had 22 PIM to Detroit’s 10 in Game 3, including six penalties in the final period (which included Shaw’s 10-minute misconduct).
So, how is Detroit doing it?
One key has been Howard, who’s out-dueled Corey Crawford for most of this series. Howard has stopped 58 of his last 60 shots faced and has snuffed out the potent Chicago attack.
Zetterberg had a pair of assists in a 4-1 victory on Saturday and Datsyuk was at his sniping best on Monday, unleashing this wrister for his first goal of the series.
So yes, things are pretty good around Detroit Right now.
But one guy doesn’t want the players resting on their laurels.
Head coach Mike Babcock — who himself has impressed this postseason — was quick to point out the Wings have been great so far, but shouldn’t get too far ahead of themselves.
“Things are going in the right direction for us thus far in the series,” Babcock told the Detroit Free Press. “But let’s be honest. We haven’t done anything yet.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)