May 21, 2013, 7:37 PM EST
It was yet another disappointing playoffs for the Washington Capitals and owner Ted Leonsis knows all too well about that by now.
Leonsis took to his own blog to address how things went for the team this season and sprinkled in plenty of hope and positive thoughts it what turned out to be a bummer of a finish for the team.
Most notably, he has a word for the fans who had hopes of seeing the team win their first Stanley Cup: Sorry.
I’m sorry it ended when it did. I thought we were peaking at the appropriate time and it would translate into more playoff success and a deeper run. We played well, but we weren’t good enough. I remain proud of our team and appreciative of our fans – perhaps that’s why losing hurts so much. I feel we have let you down; I know we have let you down, and we let ourselves down. And we will continue to explore all avenues to improve our team in this new hard-cap era.
Overall, Leonsis praises the effort of coach Adam Oates for winning the Southeast Division in his first season and for the team doing it for five of the last six seasons.
He also says they’re busy prepping for next season. It’ll be an important one for him and GM George McPhee as their division is going to be a tad more competitive next season.
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 4
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 7
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 59
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (59)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)