May 21, 2013, 7:37 PM EST
It was yet another disappointing playoffs for the Washington Capitals and owner Ted Leonsis knows all too well about that by now.
Leonsis took to his own blog to address how things went for the team this season and sprinkled in plenty of hope and positive thoughts it what turned out to be a bummer of a finish for the team.
Most notably, he has a word for the fans who had hopes of seeing the team win their first Stanley Cup: Sorry.
I’m sorry it ended when it did. I thought we were peaking at the appropriate time and it would translate into more playoff success and a deeper run. We played well, but we weren’t good enough. I remain proud of our team and appreciative of our fans – perhaps that’s why losing hurts so much. I feel we have let you down; I know we have let you down, and we let ourselves down. And we will continue to explore all avenues to improve our team in this new hard-cap era.
Overall, Leonsis praises the effort of coach Adam Oates for winning the Southeast Division in his first season and for the team doing it for five of the last six seasons.
He also says they’re busy prepping for next season. It’ll be an important one for him and GM George McPhee as their division is going to be a tad more competitive next season.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)