May 21, 2013, 7:38 AM EDT
It sounds like legendary goaltender Patrick Roy will be Joe Sacco’s replacement as the Colorado Avalanche’s head coach.
“They’re discussing the final details of an arrangement. Colorado is going to be very happy. Patrick is looking for a new challenge,” the younger brother of Patrick Roy, Stephane, told the Denver Post.
Stephane also went on Facebook to spread the word that his brother will be the next Avalanche bench boss.
Patrick Roy was one of the greatest goaltenders of all-time, but he has also been coaching since 2005 with the QMJHL Quebec Remparts. He has a 307-128-32 record and won the Memorial Cup.
Joe Sakic, who was put “in charge of all hockey-related decisions” chose to be vague when he was recently asked about the possibility of Roy being the next Avalanche coach.
“I love Patrick,” Sakic told the Denver Post. “He was probably the greatest goalie that ever played. There’s a guy who was a winner. That’s all he wanted to do. I know he’s done a tremendous job with his junior team in Quebec and for sure he’s a guy that you would consider, yeah.”
When asked directly if Roy was a candidate for the coaching job, Sakic said, “I cannot confirm, I cannot deny.”
If Patrick Roy’s brother is right, Sakic might be offering up a confirmation very soon.
Update (9:08 a.m. ET): The Avalanche are emphasizing that talk of the Roy deal is premature as it’s not done, according to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 2
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 2
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 10
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)