May 21, 2013, 7:38 AM EDT
It sounds like legendary goaltender Patrick Roy will be Joe Sacco’s replacement as the Colorado Avalanche’s head coach.
“They’re discussing the final details of an arrangement. Colorado is going to be very happy. Patrick is looking for a new challenge,” the younger brother of Patrick Roy, Stephane, told the Denver Post.
Stephane also went on Facebook to spread the word that his brother will be the next Avalanche bench boss.
Patrick Roy was one of the greatest goaltenders of all-time, but he has also been coaching since 2005 with the QMJHL Quebec Remparts. He has a 307-128-32 record and won the Memorial Cup.
Joe Sakic, who was put “in charge of all hockey-related decisions” chose to be vague when he was recently asked about the possibility of Roy being the next Avalanche coach.
“I love Patrick,” Sakic told the Denver Post. “He was probably the greatest goalie that ever played. There’s a guy who was a winner. That’s all he wanted to do. I know he’s done a tremendous job with his junior team in Quebec and for sure he’s a guy that you would consider, yeah.”
When asked directly if Roy was a candidate for the coaching job, Sakic said, “I cannot confirm, I cannot deny.”
If Patrick Roy’s brother is right, Sakic might be offering up a confirmation very soon.
Update (9:08 a.m. ET): The Avalanche are emphasizing that talk of the Roy deal is premature as it’s not done, according to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)