May 21, 2013, 7:38 AM EDT
It sounds like legendary goaltender Patrick Roy will be Joe Sacco’s replacement as the Colorado Avalanche’s head coach.
“They’re discussing the final details of an arrangement. Colorado is going to be very happy. Patrick is looking for a new challenge,” the younger brother of Patrick Roy, Stephane, told the Denver Post.
Stephane also went on Facebook to spread the word that his brother will be the next Avalanche bench boss.
Patrick Roy was one of the greatest goaltenders of all-time, but he has also been coaching since 2005 with the QMJHL Quebec Remparts. He has a 307-128-32 record and won the Memorial Cup.
Joe Sakic, who was put “in charge of all hockey-related decisions” chose to be vague when he was recently asked about the possibility of Roy being the next Avalanche coach.
“I love Patrick,” Sakic told the Denver Post. “He was probably the greatest goalie that ever played. There’s a guy who was a winner. That’s all he wanted to do. I know he’s done a tremendous job with his junior team in Quebec and for sure he’s a guy that you would consider, yeah.”
When asked directly if Roy was a candidate for the coaching job, Sakic said, “I cannot confirm, I cannot deny.”
If Patrick Roy’s brother is right, Sakic might be offering up a confirmation very soon.
Update (9:08 a.m. ET): The Avalanche are emphasizing that talk of the Roy deal is premature as it’s not done, according to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 15
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 11
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 26
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 56
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)