May 21, 2013, 7:38 AM EDT
It sounds like legendary goaltender Patrick Roy will be Joe Sacco’s replacement as the Colorado Avalanche’s head coach.
“They’re discussing the final details of an arrangement. Colorado is going to be very happy. Patrick is looking for a new challenge,” the younger brother of Patrick Roy, Stephane, told the Denver Post.
Stephane also went on Facebook to spread the word that his brother will be the next Avalanche bench boss.
Patrick Roy was one of the greatest goaltenders of all-time, but he has also been coaching since 2005 with the QMJHL Quebec Remparts. He has a 307-128-32 record and won the Memorial Cup.
Joe Sakic, who was put “in charge of all hockey-related decisions” chose to be vague when he was recently asked about the possibility of Roy being the next Avalanche coach.
“I love Patrick,” Sakic told the Denver Post. “He was probably the greatest goalie that ever played. There’s a guy who was a winner. That’s all he wanted to do. I know he’s done a tremendous job with his junior team in Quebec and for sure he’s a guy that you would consider, yeah.”
When asked directly if Roy was a candidate for the coaching job, Sakic said, “I cannot confirm, I cannot deny.”
If Patrick Roy’s brother is right, Sakic might be offering up a confirmation very soon.
Update (9:08 a.m. ET): The Avalanche are emphasizing that talk of the Roy deal is premature as it’s not done, according to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 16
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 34
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)