May 21, 2013, 7:38 AM EDT
It sounds like legendary goaltender Patrick Roy will be Joe Sacco’s replacement as the Colorado Avalanche’s head coach.
“They’re discussing the final details of an arrangement. Colorado is going to be very happy. Patrick is looking for a new challenge,” the younger brother of Patrick Roy, Stephane, told the Denver Post.
Stephane also went on Facebook to spread the word that his brother will be the next Avalanche bench boss.
Patrick Roy was one of the greatest goaltenders of all-time, but he has also been coaching since 2005 with the QMJHL Quebec Remparts. He has a 307-128-32 record and won the Memorial Cup.
Joe Sakic, who was put “in charge of all hockey-related decisions” chose to be vague when he was recently asked about the possibility of Roy being the next Avalanche coach.
“I love Patrick,” Sakic told the Denver Post. “He was probably the greatest goalie that ever played. There’s a guy who was a winner. That’s all he wanted to do. I know he’s done a tremendous job with his junior team in Quebec and for sure he’s a guy that you would consider, yeah.”
When asked directly if Roy was a candidate for the coaching job, Sakic said, “I cannot confirm, I cannot deny.”
If Patrick Roy’s brother is right, Sakic might be offering up a confirmation very soon.
Update (9:08 a.m. ET): The Avalanche are emphasizing that talk of the Roy deal is premature as it’s not done, according to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)