Toews calls 2-1 deficit ‘slap in the face’

May 20, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT

toewsvwingsgetty Getty Images

The Chicago Blackhawks have enjoyed a charmed season of almost uninterrupted success, but now they find themselves down 2-1 in their second-round series against the Detroit Red Wings.

Captain Jonathan Toews told the Chicago Sun-Times’ Mark Lazerus that he hopes this is a valuable wake-up call for the Presidents’ Trophy-winning team.

“It takes something like this to slap you in the face, to really understand what adversity is and how tough the playoffs can be,” Toews said.

Viktor Stalberg gives the impression that the Blackhawks’ confidence hasn’t been shaken.

“We still have that feeling in this locker room that we’re going to win this series,” Stalberg said.

While this season has been low on down moments, Duncan Keith notes that the Blackhawks aren’t that new to the peaks and valleys of the playoffs.

“Just because we haven’t faced a whole lot of adversity this year doesn’t mean we’ve never faced it in our lives before,” Keith said. “Let’s face it: Winning in the playoffs isn’t easy. It’s not always going to go your way.”

1. polegojim - May 20, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Um… that’s what you said last game…

Just play guys. Great games.

Awesome Wings effort x2

Let’s go RED WINGS, rock the house!

• no - May 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM

im sure you’d like to take this opportunity to advise all the young whipper snappers to be on the look out or wooden nickels

“rock the house” this guy says. jesus almighty ill bet you have a pension too

• polegojim - May 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM

NO pension… while you deliver pizza’s at minimum wage and answer posts TOTALLY off topic… I’ve made my own retirement money… and support two others by running my own businesses thank you very much.

I’ll tell you what I do have Mr. No… is a 2-1 series lead.

Rock that to sleep tonight smart boy. Cuddle it close.

• no - May 21, 2013 at 2:12 AM

selling arts and crafts at local fairs does not count as “owning your own business,” just so we’re clear

• 3octaveFart - May 21, 2013 at 11:13 AM

If you’re making a living out of it, it certainly does basement boy.
        See while you young know-nothings look down on things like flipping burgers, your grandparents had a word for it – it’s called opportunity.

2. fusionix7 - May 20, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Maybe if Toews would wipe the tears from his eyes he would realize hockey is a physical game. Playoff hockey is double that. I respect the hell out of him and his ability but he’s becoming a Crosby.

• jrhawk - May 21, 2013 at 7:57 AM

The drivel that comes out of your mouth is hilarious! “…wiping the tears…becoming like Crosby”. If you respected him, you’d understand he wasn’t whining…just making a point after a heavy loss.
      And comparing him to Crosby??? Geezuz, you’re such a moron!

• jpelle82 - May 21, 2013 at 11:03 AM

i dont get what crosby has to do with this. why doesnt toews say what he really means like, hey this is a rivalry, we dont like them, this is a slap in the face to lose to them because they are supposed to be a weaker team that barely made the playoffs.

• whammy71 - May 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Towes isn’t becoming a “Crosby” – he’s not being named MVP this year…nor hoisting the Cup. Better try next time!

Yinz might as well just double-over right now and start golfing. It’ll spare you the anguish of losing in the finals. Sweet dreams!

• mizbinboston - May 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM

“Yinz?” Stop trying to stir the pot, Pennsylvania.

• whammy71 - May 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I don’t know what yinz are talking about n’at. Just a kid from the South Side of Pittsburgh.

2nd place buddy….ya ain’t playing for nothing more than 2nd best! That is if you can make it out of this round.

• mizbinboston - May 21, 2013 at 5:29 PM

If he’s becoming anything, it’s Zetterberg’s b****.

Never thought it was possible to be so disappointed in the other team’s captain. I genuinely like and respect Toews too but he needs to shut the F up. Wings could be a pretty whiney bunch at times during the mid/late 90’s, but it was never The Captain. Same goes for the Avs back in the day. We’d rip them but no one ever had a bad thing to say about Joe Sakic.
      Step it up on the ice, Captain Serious. Whining to the press isn’t going to make Z back off.

(God I love our Captain Hank.)

3. spyder00798 - May 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM

@polegojim…. I think he meant you are old… As is pensions are a relic from a bygone era… Kinda like the phrase you so perfectly used…

• dtownbeatdown - May 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Must be a Hawk fan, I heard they don’t treat their elders with respect their. Wouldn’t expect much else from a classless fan base

I think he understood he was being called old, actually I think everyone on here caught the reference. I just find it funny that you had to point it out, like you are super intelligent and witty…or something like that.

Regardless Wings still up 2-1.

• jrhawk - May 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Don’t treat their elders with respect? What other team has half a dozen former SUPERSTARS as ambassadors?
        Only thing classless here is you.

• dtownbeatdown - May 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Call me what you will jrhawk, does not phase me. You talk like Red Wings have no ‘SUPERSTAR” ambassadors, Howe, Delveccio, Able, Yzerman (Next wings GM), Osgood, Lidstrom, Draper, Sawchuck, Chelios (yes he works for us.) Lemme throw out some stats for your real quick. Wings have 4 cups in 16 years, Hawks have 4 in 69 years. Red Wings Franchise> Hawks Franchise. You guys have nice jerseys though ;-)

Speaking of classless, last time I went to a game at the united center, I had your classless fan base trying to fight me because I cheered when the wings scored… and I was by myself!!!

I understand you guys are new to success and being fans of hockey and all, but get real, and learn some manners. I will miss the little brother of the West next year.

• polegojim - May 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Yes spyder… I got the reference… very weak.

Typically when posters have ‘no’ defense or a very weak one… they resort to insults.

YAWN.

I’d rather talk about hockey – even a good hockey argument at least has MERIT and respect.

4. wingsfan13 - May 21, 2013 at 8:57 AM

What other team has former superstars as ambassadors ?? How about the Wings, maybe you never heard of anyone named Howe,Able,Sawchuck,Delveccio, Yserman,Lidstrom should I go on. What a bunch of cry baby’s when you lose you’ve all sure change your tone since game1 GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• comeonnowguys - May 21, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I haven’t. Enjoy it, it’s been a hell of a run, but it will end within the week. As least your Grand Rapids line got some valuable experience along the way.

P.S. There are starving children in Africa who would gladly have the “!” you so carelessly waste. Selfish. So selfish.

5. wingsfan13 - May 21, 2013 at 9:08 AM

By end in a week did you mean when the wings advance. And instead of just talking about the poor in Africa maybe you could try sending some money to help the hungry children,maybe it might make you feel better after back to back losses

• comeonnowguys - May 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM

OK. Clearly you’ve got the crazy dialed up to 11. Have a nice day. Hold on to this euphoria–it’s not going to last very long.

• dtownbeatdown - May 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM

We have to win two, you have to win three. Like our odds better. The only people that are crazy are hawk fans that forgot we are still the Red Wings, and you are still the Hawks…

Not saying it will be easy, just saying we have better odds at this point.

• comeonnowguys - May 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM

The “crazy” was taking my silly comment about wasting exclamation points while children starve and driving it straight to Crazy Town. I know I’m not funny, but I figured that point was at least obvious.

I find it interesting that the same people who scoffed as it happened, and then boasted afterward how Detroit was counted out are now doing the same to Chicago. We’ll see. It’s the NHL playoffs. Can’t get too high with the highs or low with the lows.

• dtownbeatdown - May 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I agree, and I am definitely not counting the Hawks out. The Hawks are by far the most offensively talented team I have seen this year. But all that being said I still hate the Hawks, and we are allowed to celebrate when taking down the top dog this year. If anything take it as a compliment, because the Hawks are really really good, but to see my team that is young, injury riddled, and rebuilding being able to hang with them gives me high hopes now and more so in the future.

6. wingsfan13 - May 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Hey maybe you could name a half dozen former hawk superstars for me I could only come up with maybe 3 Hull,Makita, and Esposito. Maybe your counting Eddie O, but he’s only a superstar homer.

7. michiganhockey11 - May 21, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Considering you were publicly complaining about penalties after game 2 in the series, just shut up and play hockey son. A captain doesn’t complain about ref calls, let alone only 2 games in. Penalties are not the reason you are down 2-1 right now.

8. wingsfan13 - May 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Amen to that, and please accept my most sincere apologies for forgetting the great Glenn Hall. However that still is only 4 not a half dozen, sorry!!!!!!!!!!!

• lionstigersandwingsohmy - May 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM

He is most likely thinking JR and Chelios as well. While I give him Chelios as a superstar, there are three eams who can claim him as thiers.

9. 8man - May 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM

It’s the Stanley Cup playoffs. No team, regardless of how good they are, gets through without a challenge or adversity. Now we see how well the Hawks respond. Methinks they’d rather not return to the Windy City trailing 3-1.

Impressive work by the Wings. Knocked off #2 and now leading #1. They deserve some praise.

10. shoobiedoobin - May 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Toews is becoming a whiner. Losing isn’t a slap in the face if you aren’t an entitled baby. And the real slap is giving Kronwall a can opener because you’re pissed off that he shadowed your punk ass.

11. 19to77 - May 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM

So. Crazy thought. But this is the last possible year the Wings and Pens could meet in the SCF. They’ll be conference rivals next year. They’ve each beat the other once, and the rosters are at the core the same guys with the same history. Am I crazy to be quietly hoping for one last chance at a tiebreaker?

• shoobiedoobin - May 21, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I’m quietly hoping for another matchup. After that 2009 screw job I’d love to stomp them.

12. benrob99 - May 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM

2009 SCREW JOB!!! hahahaha…. That’s the most idiotic thing I’ve seen on here all day (and trust me…. That’s saying something) was the ” screw job ” giving up a SH goal to Staal in the game 6? Or, let me guess… The league instructed the wings to let the Pens 17th best player score two goals in game 7??? Take the tin foil hat off, son. And trust me… You in no way, shape or form want that match up in the SCF.

• shoobiedoobin - May 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Nice cherry picked moments. No boy, I mean the different rule book used for yellow jerseys as opposed to red. A red jersey touched a guy, 2 minutes. Yellow jersey clutched, grabbed, hooked, held, high sticked, nothing. Game 3 bogus call on Ericsson leads to a win when it should’ve been 3-0 Detroit. Game 6 Pittsburgh got away with murder. Same with game 4 but not as much.

Hell, they tried in 08 when they let Malkin baseball swing a stick from a guy’s hand and then knock it away, two different penalties in 2 seconds and nothing. It just didn’t work that year. What, you actually though Uncle Gary would let Lil’ Sid lose twice in a row? Not likely. Wings were screwed little fella, like it or not.

• shoobiedoobin - May 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Oh, not to mention the blatant interference every Pitt defender got away with. The same thing that got called when Ericsson did it in game 3. Same thing that saved them from going down 3-0 and being effectively finished. Refs always sway one way or another. But you’ll deny it. It’s too tough to take. It’s easier to pin someone a conspiracy theorist (something that happens everywhere in life, but you’re too narrow sighted to pinpoint it anywhere but in sports, where you’re in denial).

13. whammy71 - May 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Would love a match up with the Red Wings…..dust off the last NHL dynasty and say hello to the new one!

14. benrob99 - May 22, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Put down the crack pipe son. Then again seeing as how most likely from Detroit… That’s probably pretty tough.

Too far???