Toews admits he’s feeling pressure to score

May 20, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT

toewscloakedgetty Getty Images

There are quite a few talented players on the “no goals in the 2013 playoffs” list, but Jonathan Toews ranks as one of the surprising ones.

The Chicago Blackhawks captain told the Chicago Sun-Times that he always feels some pressure to find the net, yet the heightened stage does escalate that anxiety a bit.

”I always do,” Toews said. ”Maybe a little added pressure given the situation. Right now I’m just not letting it build up too much in my own mind. Sometimes you start squeezing the stick and the rest of your game goes down hill. I’m not letting that happen. But I know that sooner or later something’s got to give. Hopefully I’ll be able to find a way to contribute in a big way for my team.”

The 25-year-old has fired 21 shots on goal in seven games, good for exactly three per contest. That’s basically the same amount that he sent toward goalies each night during the regular season, when he connected for 23 goals in 47 games.

So, yes, it seems like just a matter of time for Toews.

”I feel like I’ve been in situations before where I go a stretch of games without scoring and it’s tough,” Toews said. ”Anyone would start to doubt themselves a little bit. [But] there’s no time for that. There’s a lot of different ways I can help my team out. I’ve really focused on that and been patient. You just have to let it come to you to a certain degree. The more you try and force things, the rest of your game can deteriorate. Mentally, I just try to stay on my game and not let that happen.”

Latest Posts
  1. Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau

Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v Anaheim Ducks - Game Seven Getty Images

Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?

2. Columbus reacts to Horton (back) being out indefinitely

Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Dallas Stars v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.

3. Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’

Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.

4. Jagr: ‘I want to play until 50′

Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT

Jaromir Jagr, Travis Zajac AP

Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.

5. Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks

Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT

Willie Desjardins AP

“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”

6. Silent Blue: Armstrong will no longer comment on Schwartz

Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT

Doug Armstrong AP

“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”

7. Rangers to name new captain at end of camp

Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT

McDonagh

And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.

8. Eakin, Dillon still without contracts in Dallas

Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT

Cody Eakin, Corey Perry AP

Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.

9. Veteran d-man Lee going to Preds camp on PTO

Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT

Ottawa Senators v New York Islanders Getty Images

Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.

10. Ex-1st rounder Barker goes full circle, will attend ‘Hawks camp

Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT

Cam Barker AP

Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.

11. Wings lose young sniper Mantha (6-8 weeks) to broken tibia

Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

AnthonyMantha

Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.

12. Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp

Sep 18, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT

Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin AP

Just a precautionary measure, said GM Jim Rutherford.

13. Paul Martin doesn’t expect extension anytime soon

Sep 18, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

PITTSBURGH, PA - FEBRUARY 03: Paul Martin #7 of the Pittsburgh Penguins skates against the Ottawa Senators during the game at Consol Energy Center on February 3, 2014 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images) Getty Images

He spent a lot of time on the sidelines last season, but Pittsburgh leaned on him heavily when he was healthy.

14. Selanne rips Boudreau in book

Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Teemu Selanne Getty Images

Retired Finnish star was diplomatic after being made a healthy scratch, but now he’s opening up.

15. Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen?

Sep 18, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT

Ryan Johansen AP

Is it still reasonable to believe this might have a relatively happy ending for both sides?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. J. Quick (1381)
  2. S. Bennett (1326)
  3. P. Rinne (1175)
  4. K. Timonen (1173)
  5. N. Niederreiter (1166)