May 20, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
There are quite a few talented players on the “no goals in the 2013 playoffs” list, but Jonathan Toews ranks as one of the surprising ones.
The Chicago Blackhawks captain told the Chicago Sun-Times that he always feels some pressure to find the net, yet the heightened stage does escalate that anxiety a bit.
”I always do,” Toews said. ”Maybe a little added pressure given the situation. Right now I’m just not letting it build up too much in my own mind. Sometimes you start squeezing the stick and the rest of your game goes down hill. I’m not letting that happen. But I know that sooner or later something’s got to give. Hopefully I’ll be able to find a way to contribute in a big way for my team.”
The 25-year-old has fired 21 shots on goal in seven games, good for exactly three per contest. That’s basically the same amount that he sent toward goalies each night during the regular season, when he connected for 23 goals in 47 games.
So, yes, it seems like just a matter of time for Toews.
”I feel like I’ve been in situations before where I go a stretch of games without scoring and it’s tough,” Toews said. ”Anyone would start to doubt themselves a little bit. [But] there’s no time for that. There’s a lot of different ways I can help my team out. I’ve really focused on that and been patient. You just have to let it come to you to a certain degree. The more you try and force things, the rest of your game can deteriorate. Mentally, I just try to stay on my game and not let that happen.”
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 3
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)