May 20, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
There are quite a few talented players on the “no goals in the 2013 playoffs” list, but Jonathan Toews ranks as one of the surprising ones.
The Chicago Blackhawks captain told the Chicago Sun-Times that he always feels some pressure to find the net, yet the heightened stage does escalate that anxiety a bit.
”I always do,” Toews said. ”Maybe a little added pressure given the situation. Right now I’m just not letting it build up too much in my own mind. Sometimes you start squeezing the stick and the rest of your game goes down hill. I’m not letting that happen. But I know that sooner or later something’s got to give. Hopefully I’ll be able to find a way to contribute in a big way for my team.”
The 25-year-old has fired 21 shots on goal in seven games, good for exactly three per contest. That’s basically the same amount that he sent toward goalies each night during the regular season, when he connected for 23 goals in 47 games.
So, yes, it seems like just a matter of time for Toews.
”I feel like I’ve been in situations before where I go a stretch of games without scoring and it’s tough,” Toews said. ”Anyone would start to doubt themselves a little bit. [But] there’s no time for that. There’s a lot of different ways I can help my team out. I’ve really focused on that and been patient. You just have to let it come to you to a certain degree. The more you try and force things, the rest of your game can deteriorate. Mentally, I just try to stay on my game and not let that happen.”
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)