May 20, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Jonathan Quick has avoided supplemental discipline after abusing officials at the end of Game 3.
He didn’t avoid discipline from his head coach, though.
On Sunday, Darryl Sutter told the LA Times that Quick couldn’t have any more meltdowns like the one on Saturday night.
“I think he’s got to handle that,” Sutter said. “He can’t be frustrated. That’s a byproduct of being a great goaltender.”
Quick was dinged with a game misconduct immediately after San Jose’s Logan Couture scored the game-winning OT goal. The goalie was also peeved at the amount of contact he was receiving in his crease.
After Couture scored, Quick skated directly towards the officials to voice his displeasure about a pair of penalty calls that put the Kings down two men to start the overtime session (the Sharks eventually scored at 5-on-4).
According to Rule 39.5 of the NHL Rule Book, a game misconduct for abuse of an official may be subject to supplemental discipline.
The NHL’s Rob Shick, assigned to this series as supervisor and officiating manager, told the Times via email that Quick wouldn’t be fined nor suspended and that “this matter has been dealt with.”
That didn’t seem to change Sutter’s stance on the issue any. He stressed that it can’t happen again.
“It’s very simple,” Sutter said. “That’s part of being on a good team and looked on as the best player and looked on as a top goalie.
“You have to learn to manage it, because it can’t become a distraction to your game.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)