May 20, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Jonathan Quick has avoided supplemental discipline after abusing officials at the end of Game 3.
He didn’t avoid discipline from his head coach, though.
On Sunday, Darryl Sutter told the LA Times that Quick couldn’t have any more meltdowns like the one on Saturday night.
“I think he’s got to handle that,” Sutter said. “He can’t be frustrated. That’s a byproduct of being a great goaltender.”
Quick was dinged with a game misconduct immediately after San Jose’s Logan Couture scored the game-winning OT goal. The goalie was also peeved at the amount of contact he was receiving in his crease.
After Couture scored, Quick skated directly towards the officials to voice his displeasure about a pair of penalty calls that put the Kings down two men to start the overtime session (the Sharks eventually scored at 5-on-4).
According to Rule 39.5 of the NHL Rule Book, a game misconduct for abuse of an official may be subject to supplemental discipline.
The NHL’s Rob Shick, assigned to this series as supervisor and officiating manager, told the Times via email that Quick wouldn’t be fined nor suspended and that “this matter has been dealt with.”
That didn’t seem to change Sutter’s stance on the issue any. He stressed that it can’t happen again.
“It’s very simple,” Sutter said. “That’s part of being on a good team and looked on as the best player and looked on as a top goalie.
“You have to learn to manage it, because it can’t become a distraction to your game.”
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 99
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (99)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)