May 20, 2013, 11:02 AM EST
Jonathan Quick has avoided supplemental discipline after abusing officials at the end of Game 3.
He didn’t avoid discipline from his head coach, though.
On Sunday, Darryl Sutter told the LA Times that Quick couldn’t have any more meltdowns like the one on Saturday night.
“I think he’s got to handle that,” Sutter said. “He can’t be frustrated. That’s a byproduct of being a great goaltender.”
Quick was dinged with a game misconduct immediately after San Jose’s Logan Couture scored the game-winning OT goal. The goalie was also peeved at the amount of contact he was receiving in his crease.
After Couture scored, Quick skated directly towards the officials to voice his displeasure about a pair of penalty calls that put the Kings down two men to start the overtime session (the Sharks eventually scored at 5-on-4).
According to Rule 39.5 of the NHL Rule Book, a game misconduct for abuse of an official may be subject to supplemental discipline.
The NHL’s Rob Shick, assigned to this series as supervisor and officiating manager, told the Times via email that Quick wouldn’t be fined nor suspended and that “this matter has been dealt with.”
That didn’t seem to change Sutter’s stance on the issue any. He stressed that it can’t happen again.
“It’s very simple,” Sutter said. “That’s part of being on a good team and looked on as the best player and looked on as a top goalie.
“You have to learn to manage it, because it can’t become a distraction to your game.”
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)