May 20, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Jonathan Quick has avoided supplemental discipline after abusing officials at the end of Game 3.
He didn’t avoid discipline from his head coach, though.
On Sunday, Darryl Sutter told the LA Times that Quick couldn’t have any more meltdowns like the one on Saturday night.
“I think he’s got to handle that,” Sutter said. “He can’t be frustrated. That’s a byproduct of being a great goaltender.”
Quick was dinged with a game misconduct immediately after San Jose’s Logan Couture scored the game-winning OT goal. The goalie was also peeved at the amount of contact he was receiving in his crease.
After Couture scored, Quick skated directly towards the officials to voice his displeasure about a pair of penalty calls that put the Kings down two men to start the overtime session (the Sharks eventually scored at 5-on-4).
According to Rule 39.5 of the NHL Rule Book, a game misconduct for abuse of an official may be subject to supplemental discipline.
The NHL’s Rob Shick, assigned to this series as supervisor and officiating manager, told the Times via email that Quick wouldn’t be fined nor suspended and that “this matter has been dealt with.”
That didn’t seem to change Sutter’s stance on the issue any. He stressed that it can’t happen again.
“It’s very simple,” Sutter said. “That’s part of being on a good team and looked on as the best player and looked on as a top goalie.
“You have to learn to manage it, because it can’t become a distraction to your game.”
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)