Spezza ‘no worse for wear’ after return

May 20, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT

Comments Off
jasonspezzagetty Getty Images

While he admitted that he didn’t feel so great after that bombastic Craig Adams hit, Jason Spezza told NHL.com that he’s pleasantly surprised about how his body reacted to returning to action after Sunday’s Game 3.

“I feel good,” Spezza said Monday. “To play a double-overtime game and coming out no worse for wear is definitely positive for me and encouraging that I made the right decision [to play]. I took a pretty good pounding and played more than we had initially planned, but it’s all positive and I hope to get even better as we go on.”

Even with such a long game, it’s clear that head coach Paul MacLean eased him back into the lineup as much as he could. He averaged 19:11 minutes per game in the regular season yet he logged 18:40 despite the contest stretching out into a second overtime period.

While the 29-year-old center seemed optimistic, he acknowledged that he trotted out a more stripped-down style than usual.

“I can tell you it’s not ideal,” Spezza said. “I’d have liked to have a few weeks of [regular season] games before I was playing in games with such high stakes. I had to keep my game a little simpler [Sunday]. There were a few times when I would have held on and made plays, trying to get the puck on the net.

“It’s going to be a different game for me. I’m playing a third-line role here to start, and I’m trying to [do well] on my faceoffs. As I feel more comfortable and evolve, then I’ll just try and help where I can. But it’s definitely a different situation than if I had been playing all year. I’m playing against [Pittsburgh players] who are at the top of their game right now, and I haven’t played in four months. There are obvious challenges, but I feel like I can help.”

(H/T to Rotoworld.)

Latest Posts
  1. Sutter vows Kings ‘won’t go away quietly’

Apr 23, 2014, 2:17 AM EDT

Darryl Sutter AP

They’ll be facing elimination on Thursday.

2. Video: Gaborik scores highlight-reel goal

Apr 23, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT

MarianGaborik Getty Images

Impressive, but just his first marker of the series.

3. Marchand on skeptics: ‘That’s why they’re on Twitter and I’m in the NHL’

Apr 22, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Detroit Red Wings Getty Images

Some thought he was milking an injury and even holding the wrong knee.

4. Video: Carcillo scores, gives it to Flyers fans

Apr 22, 2014, 10:53 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Philadelphia Flyers - Game Three Getty Images

Flyers fans give it right back, though.

5. Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead

Apr 22, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Philadelphia Flyers - Game Three Getty Images

Get this: people will be talking about Flyers goaltending.

6. Video: Burns beats Quick with floater goal

Apr 22, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT

Brent Burns Getty Getty Images

Not exactly a thing of beauty, but it counts…

7. Bishop confirms elbow dislocation following loss to Habs

Apr 22, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT

benbishopgetty Getty Images

Kept him out of the entire opening round.

8. Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead

Apr 22, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Detroit Red Wings - Game Three Getty Images

Boston’s first win at Joe Louis Arena in seven years.

9. Video: Jakub Voracek and Carl Hagelin go at it

Apr 22, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT

hagelinvoracek

Not the names you’d expect, huh?

10. And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated

Apr 22, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT

Steven Stamkos, AP

Tampa Bay hits a wall called Montreal.

11. Video: Marchand shakes off potential leg injury

Apr 22, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

And creates a little bit of controversy in the process.

12. Lightning pull Lindback early in second period

Apr 22, 2014, 8:41 PM EDT

Anders Lindback, Rene Bourque , AP

Could this be his last appearance with Tampa Bay?

13. Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate

Apr 22, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT

Gary Bettman AP

Also: Capitals Winter Classic and Islanders ownership talk.

14. WATCH LIVE: New York Rangers at Philadelphia Flyers (Game 3)

Apr 22, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT

Steve Mason, Ray Emery AP

Steve Mason backs up Ray Emery for Philly.

15. Torres says people are treating Cooke like a ‘serial killer’

Apr 22, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game Two Getty Images

At least there wasn’t a school bus involved with this comparison.

Chances Blue Jackets bounce back?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches