Spezza ‘no worse for wear’ after return

May 20, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT

Comments Off on Spezza ‘no worse for wear’ after return
jasonspezzagetty Getty Images

While he admitted that he didn’t feel so great after that bombastic Craig Adams hit, Jason Spezza told NHL.com that he’s pleasantly surprised about how his body reacted to returning to action after Sunday’s Game 3.

“I feel good,” Spezza said Monday. “To play a double-overtime game and coming out no worse for wear is definitely positive for me and encouraging that I made the right decision [to play]. I took a pretty good pounding and played more than we had initially planned, but it’s all positive and I hope to get even better as we go on.”

Even with such a long game, it’s clear that head coach Paul MacLean eased him back into the lineup as much as he could. He averaged 19:11 minutes per game in the regular season yet he logged 18:40 despite the contest stretching out into a second overtime period.

While the 29-year-old center seemed optimistic, he acknowledged that he trotted out a more stripped-down style than usual.

“I can tell you it’s not ideal,” Spezza said. “I’d have liked to have a few weeks of [regular season] games before I was playing in games with such high stakes. I had to keep my game a little simpler [Sunday]. There were a few times when I would have held on and made plays, trying to get the puck on the net.

“It’s going to be a different game for me. I’m playing a third-line role here to start, and I’m trying to [do well] on my faceoffs. As I feel more comfortable and evolve, then I’ll just try and help where I can. But it’s definitely a different situation than if I had been playing all year. I’m playing against [Pittsburgh players] who are at the top of their game right now, and I haven’t played in four months. There are obvious challenges, but I feel like I can help.”

(H/T to Rotoworld.)

Latest Posts
  1. Kings ink prospect Sharipzyanov to entry-level contract

Aug 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Damir Sharipzyanov Getty Images

The defenseman had 34 points in 66 OHL games last season.

2. Sabres interested in luring Franson

Aug 27, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT

Cody Franson Getty Images

He might end up with a two-year deal.

3. Ladd wants to re-sign before season starts

Aug 27, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT

Andrew Ladd Getty Images

He’s entering the final season of his five-year, $22 million deal.

4. AHL unveils schedule with California teams playing fewer games

Aug 27, 2015, 6:48 PM EDT

061315 comets mdd AP

Playoff seeding will be determined by points percentage.

5. Under pressure: Mike Johnston

Aug 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT

Mike Johnston Getty Images

The Penguins are a win now team coming off of a quick first round exit.

6. Pittsburgh’s biggest question: Is the defense good enough?

Aug 27, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT

St. Louis Blues v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

“I’m fully aware that at some point in time we may have to address that position.”

7. Marty favor? Blues bringing Gomez to camp on PTO

Aug 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT

New Jersey Devils v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

The two have a bit of a history, as you may recall…

8. Poll: Will Kessel score 40?

Aug 27, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

The Toronto Maple hold their post season media availibility and team President Brendan Shanahan holds a press conference to answer questions Getty Images

It’s a benchmark he’s never hit before.

9. Looking to make the leap: Derrick Pouliot

Aug 27, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

The 21-year-old looks like he’ll be counted upon heavily.

10. Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance

Aug 27, 2015, 9:48 AM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v New York Rangers Getty Images

For a border incident that occurred in mid-June.

11. It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT

Aug 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Sidney Crosby AP

A first round exit has led to a busy summer.

12. Devils’ continue summer of change with more personnel moves

Aug 26, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT

Patrick Rissmiller Getty Images

Development coach Patrick Rissmiller is among New Jersey’s latest additions.

13. Erik Karlsson has an interesting take on (not) training

Aug 26, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT

Erik Karlsson AP

His conditioning comes on the ice, not in the weight room.

14. Sabres reach their season tickets cap with 96 percent renewal rate

Aug 26, 2015, 6:40 PM EDT

Jack Eichel Getty Images

Two terrible seasons didn’t dissuade fans expecting brighter days ahead.

15. Philadelphia Flyers ’15-16 Outlook

Aug 26, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT

Ottawa Senators v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Philadelphia has a great core, but does it have the depth?

16. Poll: Are the Flyers better off losing (a lot)?

Aug 26, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT

Dave Hakstol AP

Tanking isn’t likely, yet may it be wise?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches