Spezza ‘no worse for wear’ after return

May 20, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT

Comments Off on Spezza ‘no worse for wear’ after return
jasonspezzagetty Getty Images

While he admitted that he didn’t feel so great after that bombastic Craig Adams hit, Jason Spezza told NHL.com that he’s pleasantly surprised about how his body reacted to returning to action after Sunday’s Game 3.

“I feel good,” Spezza said Monday. “To play a double-overtime game and coming out no worse for wear is definitely positive for me and encouraging that I made the right decision [to play]. I took a pretty good pounding and played more than we had initially planned, but it’s all positive and I hope to get even better as we go on.”

Even with such a long game, it’s clear that head coach Paul MacLean eased him back into the lineup as much as he could. He averaged 19:11 minutes per game in the regular season yet he logged 18:40 despite the contest stretching out into a second overtime period.

While the 29-year-old center seemed optimistic, he acknowledged that he trotted out a more stripped-down style than usual.

“I can tell you it’s not ideal,” Spezza said. “I’d have liked to have a few weeks of [regular season] games before I was playing in games with such high stakes. I had to keep my game a little simpler [Sunday]. There were a few times when I would have held on and made plays, trying to get the puck on the net.

“It’s going to be a different game for me. I’m playing a third-line role here to start, and I’m trying to [do well] on my faceoffs. As I feel more comfortable and evolve, then I’ll just try and help where I can. But it’s definitely a different situation than if I had been playing all year. I’m playing against [Pittsburgh players] who are at the top of their game right now, and I haven’t played in four months. There are obvious challenges, but I feel like I can help.”

(H/T to Rotoworld.)

Latest Posts
  1. McQuaid camp ‘holding out hope’ to re-sign with Bruins

May 27, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

One of the many decisions facing new GM Don Sweeney.

2. As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial

May 27, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Tampa Bay Lightning - Game Three Getty Images

Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final goes Friday at MSG.

3. Robinson calls DeBoer ‘a good choice’ for Sharks

May 27, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT

New Jersey Devils v Philadelphia Flyers - Game One Getty Images

The two men worked together for a season in New Jersey.

4. Etem likely to draw back in tonight versus Chicago

May 27, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT

Anaheim Ducks v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

Tomas Fleischmann likely on his way out.

5. Foley moves company to Vegas, hopes NHL sees him as ‘local owner’

May 27, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT

Hockey Vision Las Vegas News Conference To Announce NHL Season Ticket Drive Getty Images

“We’re going to be embedded in this community.”

6. Hitch thinks ‘goaltending is the least of our problems’

May 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT

Jake Allen AP

“I get the fact there were three goals that went in that were ugly. That’s the growth of a young player.”

7. On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’

May 27, 2015, 12:39 PM EDT

Rangers forward has had issues with it thus far.

8. Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach

May 27, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT

Peter DeBoer Getty Images

Former Panthers and Devils coach will take over a team that missed the playoffs for the first time since 2003.

9. Miller’s ‘attitude has been outstanding,’ says Brassard

May 27, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT

J.T. Miller, Derick Brassard AP

Remember when AV called the youngster out?

10. Ward’s agent makes it (very) clear that Washington is his first choice

May 27, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT

New York Rangers v Washington Capitals - Game Six Getty Images

“Our door is open for the Capitals, absolutely first and foremost.”

11. ‘Very quiet’ on Derek Roy-Edmonton front, says agent

May 27, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Veteran center enjoyed something of a career revival with the Oilers last season.

12. Blackhawks’ Teravainen: ‘I’m living my dream’

May 27, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT

Chicago Blackhawks v Anaheim Ducks - Game Five Getty Images

Chicago fans are hoping that dream includes a Game 6 win.

13. So much for Rick Nash’s slump

May 27, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT

150527-Rick-Nash Getty Images

Give some credit to his linemates, including “energizer bunny” J.T. Miller.

14. Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7

May 27, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT

Henrik Lundqvist Getty Images

Almost completely shut the door through two periods.

15. TVR time? Quenneville hints at changes on defense for Game 6

May 26, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT

Getty Images

Timonen is averaging under 10 minutes of ice time per game in playoffs.

End of an era coming for Blackhawks?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches