Spezza ‘no worse for wear’ after return

May 20, 2013, 9:15 PM EST

Comments Off
jasonspezzagetty Getty Images

While he admitted that he didn’t feel so great after that bombastic Craig Adams hit, Jason Spezza told NHL.com that he’s pleasantly surprised about how his body reacted to returning to action after Sunday’s Game 3.

“I feel good,” Spezza said Monday. “To play a double-overtime game and coming out no worse for wear is definitely positive for me and encouraging that I made the right decision [to play]. I took a pretty good pounding and played more than we had initially planned, but it’s all positive and I hope to get even better as we go on.”

Even with such a long game, it’s clear that head coach Paul MacLean eased him back into the lineup as much as he could. He averaged 19:11 minutes per game in the regular season yet he logged 18:40 despite the contest stretching out into a second overtime period.

While the 29-year-old center seemed optimistic, he acknowledged that he trotted out a more stripped-down style than usual.

“I can tell you it’s not ideal,” Spezza said. “I’d have liked to have a few weeks of [regular season] games before I was playing in games with such high stakes. I had to keep my game a little simpler [Sunday]. There were a few times when I would have held on and made plays, trying to get the puck on the net.

“It’s going to be a different game for me. I’m playing a third-line role here to start, and I’m trying to [do well] on my faceoffs. As I feel more comfortable and evolve, then I’ll just try and help where I can. But it’s definitely a different situation than if I had been playing all year. I’m playing against [Pittsburgh players] who are at the top of their game right now, and I haven’t played in four months. There are obvious challenges, but I feel like I can help.”

(H/T to Rotoworld.)

Latest Posts
  1. Dubnyk makes case for top Wild gig with shutout

Jan 30, 2015, 12:17 AM EST

Arizona Coyotes v Minnesota Wild Getty Images

Head coach Mike Yeo said he earned that goose egg, too.

2. Sharks chase Bryzgalov, down Ducks

Jan 29, 2015, 11:47 PM EST

Joe Pavelski, Ilya Bryzgalov Joe Pavelski, Ilya Bryzgalov

So much for some rest for Frederik Andersen.

3. WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Sharks

Jan 29, 2015, 9:33 PM EST

San Jose Sharks v Anaheim Ducks Getty Images

Another strong game on NBCSN.

4. Video: Senators pay tribute to Spezza

Jan 29, 2015, 8:49 PM EST

Jason Spezza AP

Nice applause in his return to Ottawa.

5. Here’s why Brodeur is working for Blues (instead of Devils)

Jan 29, 2015, 7:12 PM EST

Martin Brodeur, Doug Armstrong AP

To some extent, it was about staying closer to the game.

6. WATCH LIVE: Canadiens at Rangers

Jan 29, 2015, 6:17 PM EST

Montreal Canadiens v New York Rangers Getty Images

Bask in a budding rivalry.

7. Get your game notes: Habs at Rangers

Jan 29, 2015, 5:28 PM EST

Montreal Canadiens v New York Rangers Getty Images

The first of a Thursday night doubleheader on NBCSN.

8. AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next?

Jan 29, 2015, 4:36 PM EST

AHLlogo

The Coyotes and Canucks, that’s who.

9. Latvian forward Kenins called up to Canucks

Jan 29, 2015, 3:36 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmxnjrmzdm4nmnjndjlmwmyyzizmgjkzja2ogi5yjll AP

In the wake of the controversial injury to Derek Dorsett.

10. Goalie nods: Dubnyk goes again for Wild in key game vs. Flames

Jan 29, 2015, 3:29 PM EST

Dubnyk

News and notes from around the crease…

11. Lupul activated, available to play versus Coyotes

Jan 29, 2015, 3:07 PM EST

Joffrey Lupul Getty Images

Hopefully he can stay healthy this time.

12. Seeking consistency, Sharks in ‘dog fight’ to make playoffs

Jan 29, 2015, 2:45 PM EST

Logan Couture, Jonathan Quick AP

“Consistency is still a word that we use constantly around here, bringing it all the time, and being emotionally attached to the games.”

13. Report: NHL to unveil jersey ads during World Cup

Jan 29, 2015, 2:21 PM EST

2015 NHL All-Star Weekend - Commissioners Press Conference 2015 NHL All-Star Weekend - Commissioners Press Conference

Just months after COO John Collins said that jersey sponsorship “is coming” to the league.

14. Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’

Jan 29, 2015, 2:06 PM EST

Mike Babcock Getty Images

“We’ve gotten better, and we’ve got to keep getting better.”

15. Kings to visit White House, be honored by Obama on Monday

Jan 29, 2015, 1:51 PM EST

US-POLITICS-OBAMA-LA KINGS US-POLITICS-OBAMA-LA KINGS

But the reigning Stanley Cup champs will have to share the stage with another L.A. team.

Kings come back in third to top Blackhawks
Top 10 NHL Player Searches