Spezza ‘no worse for wear’ after return

May 20, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT

Comments Off on Spezza ‘no worse for wear’ after return
jasonspezzagetty Getty Images

While he admitted that he didn’t feel so great after that bombastic Craig Adams hit, Jason Spezza told NHL.com that he’s pleasantly surprised about how his body reacted to returning to action after Sunday’s Game 3.

“I feel good,” Spezza said Monday. “To play a double-overtime game and coming out no worse for wear is definitely positive for me and encouraging that I made the right decision [to play]. I took a pretty good pounding and played more than we had initially planned, but it’s all positive and I hope to get even better as we go on.”

Even with such a long game, it’s clear that head coach Paul MacLean eased him back into the lineup as much as he could. He averaged 19:11 minutes per game in the regular season yet he logged 18:40 despite the contest stretching out into a second overtime period.

While the 29-year-old center seemed optimistic, he acknowledged that he trotted out a more stripped-down style than usual.

“I can tell you it’s not ideal,” Spezza said. “I’d have liked to have a few weeks of [regular season] games before I was playing in games with such high stakes. I had to keep my game a little simpler [Sunday]. There were a few times when I would have held on and made plays, trying to get the puck on the net.

“It’s going to be a different game for me. I’m playing a third-line role here to start, and I’m trying to [do well] on my faceoffs. As I feel more comfortable and evolve, then I’ll just try and help where I can. But it’s definitely a different situation than if I had been playing all year. I’m playing against [Pittsburgh players] who are at the top of their game right now, and I haven’t played in four months. There are obvious challenges, but I feel like I can help.”

(H/T to Rotoworld.)

Latest Posts
  1. Jackets’ prospect Oscar Dansk loaned to Swedish club

Jul 5, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Montreal Canadiens v Columbus Blue Jackets Montreal Canadiens v Columbus Blue Jackets

He struggled in his first year pro split between the AHL and ECHL.

2. Report: Bolts sign Mike Angelidis to a one-year, two-way deal

Jul 5, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

He’ll make $650,000 at the NHL level and $250,000 in the AHL.

3. Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA

Jul 5, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT

Braden Holtby Braden Holtby

Hearings will take place in Toronto from July 20 to August 4

4. Leafs sign Kadri to a one-year contract extension

Jul 5, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT

Nazem Kadri #43 of the Toronto Maple Leafs gets set for a faceoff against the Boston Bruins in Game Three of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals during the 2013 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs on May 6, 2013 at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The Bruins defeated the Maple Leafs 5-2 to take a 2-1 series lead.
(May 5, 2013 - Source: Claus Andersen/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

The deal will reportedly pay him $4.1 million next season.

5. Report: Mikkel Boedker files for salary arbitration

Jul 5, 2015, 3:08 PM EDT

Mikkel Boedker AP

His peak came in 2013-14: 19 goals, 51 points.

6. Teacher-pest: Blue Jackets add Jarkko Ruutu to staff

Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT

ruutugetty Getty Images

Perhaps Blue Jackets prospects can learn from his scrappy ways.

7. Clune is set to attend Leafs camp after signing with AHL’s Marlies

Jul 5, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT

Rich Clune AP

He shared his story (and struggles) this past week.

8. Report: Wild’s Haula files for arbitration

Jul 5, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT

haulagetty Getty Images

That doesn’t guarantee that a hearing would take place, though.

9. Changes continue for Canucks after reportedly letting go of their head trainer

Jul 4, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT

AP

Vancouver started its development camp this weekend.

10. Report: Contract negotiations between Blackhawks, Kruger ‘progressing OK’

Jul 4, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT

Getty Images

His offensive totals were down, but was regularly used on penalty kill.

11. Putting pen to paper: Wild re-sign Dubnyk

Jul 4, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT

AP

They had agreed to terms last weekend.

12. Oilers prospect Draisaitl ‘totally fine’ playing the wing

Jul 4, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT

Getty Images

Played 37 games with Edmonton last season before getting sent back to the WHL.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches