Spezza ‘no worse for wear’ after return

May 20, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT

Comments Off
jasonspezzagetty Getty Images

While he admitted that he didn’t feel so great after that bombastic Craig Adams hit, Jason Spezza told NHL.com that he’s pleasantly surprised about how his body reacted to returning to action after Sunday’s Game 3.

“I feel good,” Spezza said Monday. “To play a double-overtime game and coming out no worse for wear is definitely positive for me and encouraging that I made the right decision [to play]. I took a pretty good pounding and played more than we had initially planned, but it’s all positive and I hope to get even better as we go on.”

Even with such a long game, it’s clear that head coach Paul MacLean eased him back into the lineup as much as he could. He averaged 19:11 minutes per game in the regular season yet he logged 18:40 despite the contest stretching out into a second overtime period.

While the 29-year-old center seemed optimistic, he acknowledged that he trotted out a more stripped-down style than usual.

“I can tell you it’s not ideal,” Spezza said. “I’d have liked to have a few weeks of [regular season] games before I was playing in games with such high stakes. I had to keep my game a little simpler [Sunday]. There were a few times when I would have held on and made plays, trying to get the puck on the net.

“It’s going to be a different game for me. I’m playing a third-line role here to start, and I’m trying to [do well] on my faceoffs. As I feel more comfortable and evolve, then I’ll just try and help where I can. But it’s definitely a different situation than if I had been playing all year. I’m playing against [Pittsburgh players] who are at the top of their game right now, and I haven’t played in four months. There are obvious challenges, but I feel like I can help.”

(H/T to Rotoworld.)

Latest Posts
  1. Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’

Aug 31, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT

Barry Trotz AP

He continued to follow their summer moves after he was fired.

2. Lombardi brings Stanley Cup to Snoopy

Aug 31, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT

Dean Lombardi AP

The late creator of Peanuts was a big hockey fan.

3. Columnist: Schultz deal might complicate Avs’ talks with RFA Barrie

Aug 31, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT

Tyson Barrie Getty Images

The Colorado defenseman is still a restricted free agent.

4. Scioscia wants MLB to adopt NHL-inspired roster expansion rules

Aug 31, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT

Mike Scioscia AP

“I think that would make it a little more equitable for match-ups.”

5. Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success

Aug 31, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT

Ron Hextall Getty Images

He served as an assistant general manager in Los Angeles before coming to Philadelphia.

6. Gagner looking for fresh start in Arizona

Aug 31, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT

Sam Gagner AP

After matching a career-low in goals during the 2013-14 season, he’s hoping for big things with the Coyotes.

7. Report: Devils sign Kelly

Aug 31, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

Image (1) NewJerseyDevils_logo-thumb-250x243-22093.gif for post 6122

Add depth to blue line in Albany.

8. Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers

Aug 31, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT

Kevin Hayes Getty Images

Hopes to play in the NHL in 2014-15.

9. Bieksa confident changes have Canucks headed in right direction

Aug 31, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT

Kevin Bieksa Getty Images

After missing the playoffs for the first time since 2007-08, he believes they’ll be back in the postseason in 2014-15.

10. Leafs’ Kadri aims for more goals in contract year

Aug 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Ottawa Senators Getty Images

He’s emphasized a quick shot release the most.

11. Sharks explain moving Burns back to the blueline

Aug 31, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game Seven Getty Images

GM Doug Wilson points out that he was acquired to be a “stud defenseman.”

12. Looking to make the leap: Reid Boucher

Aug 30, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT

Florida Panthers v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Stefan Matteau is in the conversation, too.

13. Oilers’ Schultz admits it’s too early for Norris talk

Aug 30, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Anaheim Ducks Getty Images

His new deal earned more than a few critics.

14. Boudreau doesn’t know how Ducks goalie situation will ‘shake out’

Aug 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

Bruce Boudreau AP

Frederik Andersen and John Gibson both have a shot at being No. 1.

15. What if the Blue Jackets and Johansen don’t reach a deal?

Aug 30, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT

Ryan Johansen Getty Images

The two sides are not budging in contract negotiations.

16. Under Pressure: Cory Schneider

Aug 30, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Cory Schneider AP

Will try to guide the Devils back to the postseason after two straight seasons without playoff hockey in New Jersey.

17. Binghamton Senators unveil new jerseys

Aug 30, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

Will wear a different look in 2014-15.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches