Spezza ‘no worse for wear’ after return

May 20, 2013, 9:15 PM EST

Comments Off
jasonspezzagetty Getty Images

While he admitted that he didn’t feel so great after that bombastic Craig Adams hit, Jason Spezza told NHL.com that he’s pleasantly surprised about how his body reacted to returning to action after Sunday’s Game 3.

“I feel good,” Spezza said Monday. “To play a double-overtime game and coming out no worse for wear is definitely positive for me and encouraging that I made the right decision [to play]. I took a pretty good pounding and played more than we had initially planned, but it’s all positive and I hope to get even better as we go on.”

Even with such a long game, it’s clear that head coach Paul MacLean eased him back into the lineup as much as he could. He averaged 19:11 minutes per game in the regular season yet he logged 18:40 despite the contest stretching out into a second overtime period.

While the 29-year-old center seemed optimistic, he acknowledged that he trotted out a more stripped-down style than usual.

“I can tell you it’s not ideal,” Spezza said. “I’d have liked to have a few weeks of [regular season] games before I was playing in games with such high stakes. I had to keep my game a little simpler [Sunday]. There were a few times when I would have held on and made plays, trying to get the puck on the net.

“It’s going to be a different game for me. I’m playing a third-line role here to start, and I’m trying to [do well] on my faceoffs. As I feel more comfortable and evolve, then I’ll just try and help where I can. But it’s definitely a different situation than if I had been playing all year. I’m playing against [Pittsburgh players] who are at the top of their game right now, and I haven’t played in four months. There are obvious challenges, but I feel like I can help.”

(H/T to Rotoworld.)

Latest Posts
  1. Expect Ekblad to shatter Florida’s rookie D records

Dec 26, 2014, 10:20 AM EST

Aaron Ekblad Getty Images

He already grabbed the franchise’ assists mark in that category.

2. Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener

Dec 26, 2014, 9:39 AM EST

Zachary Fucale AP

They picked him over Eric Comrie.

3. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Viva Las Vegas?

Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 PM EST

LasVegasHockey

The waters are being tested with a ticket drive.

4. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: The NHL gets the mumps

Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 PM EST

crosbyface

Sidney Crosby and Corey Perry are just two of the players that have been inflicted by the NHL outbreak.

5. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Slava Voynov’s domestic assault case

Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpte3nju0ywnmnjbkytrlmwjlmtu4mgixnzhhmdlhzme5 AP

And the NHL’s swift, significant response.

6. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Another Leafs collapse ushers in analytics era

Dec 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EST

Leafs practice Getty Images

2014 was another painful year, but was it also one of progress?

7. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: St. Louis forces his way out of Tampa Bay

Dec 25, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Tampa Bay Lightning v New York Rangers Getty Images

The perfect storm that led to a shocking trade deadline captains swap between two teams looking to make serious playoff runs.

8. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment

Dec 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EST

Sochi Olympics Ice Hockey Men AP

A major letdown in Sochi, followed by the Caps missing the playoffs.

9. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Canada dominates en route to Olympic gold

Dec 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EST

Carey Price Carey Price

One of the best performances in international hockey history.

10. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Quinn, Beliveau pass away

Dec 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EST

Jean Beliveau AP

Hockey mourned the loss of two of its most respected individuals.

11. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Canucks and Flames brawl, followed by Torts losing his mind

Dec 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Calgary Flames v Vancouver Canucks Getty Images

It wasn’t the reason he was fired, but it sure was memorable.

12. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Teemu Selanne retires

Dec 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

Sochi Olympics Ice Hockey Men AP

After 22 years, the Finnish Flash called it a day.

13. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Winter Classic at the Big House

Dec 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Over 105,000 descended on Ann Arbor for an unforgettable experience.

14. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Oshie’s shootout mastery in Sochi

Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 AM EST

Sochi Olympics Ice Hockey Men AP

Even a disappointing Olympic finish can’t erase a star-making moment.

15. Poile moves to second on all-time GM wins list

Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST

David Poile AP

Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.

16. Overtime/shootout drama becoming the norm in Florida

Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST

Roberto Luongo Getty Images

“It’s like a little miracle down here.”

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches