Spezza ‘no worse for wear’ after return

May 20, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT

Comments Off on Spezza ‘no worse for wear’ after return
jasonspezzagetty Getty Images

While he admitted that he didn’t feel so great after that bombastic Craig Adams hit, Jason Spezza told NHL.com that he’s pleasantly surprised about how his body reacted to returning to action after Sunday’s Game 3.

“I feel good,” Spezza said Monday. “To play a double-overtime game and coming out no worse for wear is definitely positive for me and encouraging that I made the right decision [to play]. I took a pretty good pounding and played more than we had initially planned, but it’s all positive and I hope to get even better as we go on.”

Even with such a long game, it’s clear that head coach Paul MacLean eased him back into the lineup as much as he could. He averaged 19:11 minutes per game in the regular season yet he logged 18:40 despite the contest stretching out into a second overtime period.

While the 29-year-old center seemed optimistic, he acknowledged that he trotted out a more stripped-down style than usual.

“I can tell you it’s not ideal,” Spezza said. “I’d have liked to have a few weeks of [regular season] games before I was playing in games with such high stakes. I had to keep my game a little simpler [Sunday]. There were a few times when I would have held on and made plays, trying to get the puck on the net.

“It’s going to be a different game for me. I’m playing a third-line role here to start, and I’m trying to [do well] on my faceoffs. As I feel more comfortable and evolve, then I’ll just try and help where I can. But it’s definitely a different situation than if I had been playing all year. I’m playing against [Pittsburgh players] who are at the top of their game right now, and I haven’t played in four months. There are obvious challenges, but I feel like I can help.”

(H/T to Rotoworld.)

Latest Posts
  1. No extension on the horizon for Flyers’ Brayden Schenn

Aug 1, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT

Brayden Schenn Getty Images

He’s heading into the final year of his two-year, $5 million deal.

2. Jets partner with ECHL’s Tulsa Oilers

Aug 1, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT

ECHL_-_logo

Winnipeg was affiliated with the Ontario Reign last season.

3. Armed with new deal, Galchenyuk expects to have a ‘great year’

Aug 1, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT

Alex Galchenyuk Getty Images

He signed a two-year, bridge contract worth $5.6 million on Thursday.

4. Arbitrator awards Marcus Johansson $3.75M contract

Jul 31, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT

Marcus Johansson Getty Images

That’s close to the middle between his and Washington’s requests.

5. Maloney: RFA Domingue will play in Europe

Jul 31, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

Louis Domingue Getty Images

The decision surprised Arizona’s general manager.

6. Siegenthaler signs entry-level contract with Caps

Jul 31, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT

Jonas Siegenthaler Getty Images

The defenseman spent the 2014-15 campaign in the Swiss League.

7. One month later, Mike Richards’ future remains murky

Jul 31, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v New York Rangers Getty Images

There is a key deadline approaching though.

8. Subban working out with former Olympian Ben Johnson

Jul 31, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT

P.K. Subban Getty Images

Johnson won a gold medal in 1988, but it was taken away because of a positive steroids test.

9. Quebecor seeks partners in Quebec City bid

Jul 31, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Calgary Flames v Ottawa Senators Getty Images

There’s a $500 million expansion fee to consider.

10. How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos?

Jul 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Carolina Hurricanes v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Because once Voracek’s eight-year contract kicks in, they’ll be part of that list.

11. Report: Further coaching hires expected for Sharks

Jul 30, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT

Peter DeBoer Getty Images

Former NHL stars are among the list of likely candidates.

12. Habs’ Galchenyuk inks two-year extension

Jul 30, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT

Alex Galchenyuk Getty Images

The deal is reportedly worth $5.6 million.

13. Flames prospect Kylington cleared to play in North America

Jul 30, 2015, 7:11 PM EDT

Oliver Kylington Getty Images

At one point he was listed as the top European skater in the 2015 draft.

14. Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal

Jul 30, 2015, 5:52 PM EDT

Jakub Voracek Getty Images

The Flyers also have forwards Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier locked up.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches