Spezza ‘no worse for wear’ after return

May 20, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT

Comments Off
jasonspezzagetty Getty Images

While he admitted that he didn’t feel so great after that bombastic Craig Adams hit, Jason Spezza told NHL.com that he’s pleasantly surprised about how his body reacted to returning to action after Sunday’s Game 3.

“I feel good,” Spezza said Monday. “To play a double-overtime game and coming out no worse for wear is definitely positive for me and encouraging that I made the right decision [to play]. I took a pretty good pounding and played more than we had initially planned, but it’s all positive and I hope to get even better as we go on.”

Even with such a long game, it’s clear that head coach Paul MacLean eased him back into the lineup as much as he could. He averaged 19:11 minutes per game in the regular season yet he logged 18:40 despite the contest stretching out into a second overtime period.

While the 29-year-old center seemed optimistic, he acknowledged that he trotted out a more stripped-down style than usual.

“I can tell you it’s not ideal,” Spezza said. “I’d have liked to have a few weeks of [regular season] games before I was playing in games with such high stakes. I had to keep my game a little simpler [Sunday]. There were a few times when I would have held on and made plays, trying to get the puck on the net.

“It’s going to be a different game for me. I’m playing a third-line role here to start, and I’m trying to [do well] on my faceoffs. As I feel more comfortable and evolve, then I’ll just try and help where I can. But it’s definitely a different situation than if I had been playing all year. I’m playing against [Pittsburgh players] who are at the top of their game right now, and I haven’t played in four months. There are obvious challenges, but I feel like I can help.”

(H/T to Rotoworld.)

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Kings’ Richards spears Sharks’ Couture

Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 11.06.58 PM

This has happened a few times in these playoffs.

2. Video: Bad blood continues to brew between Sharks and Kings

Apr 21, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game Two Getty Images

This one could’ve gotten uglier than it did.

3. Avalanche’s Duchene (knee) expected to skate Monday

Apr 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT

Matt Duchene Getty Images

Patrick Roy: “We’re going to be very smart about when he’s going to come back.”

4. Video: Mike Brown hit sends Kings’ Toffoli into Quick

Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT

Jonathan Quick AP

Just another game between these two California rivals.

5. Shocking: Lightning coach isn’t happy about disallowed goal

Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT

Jon Cooper, Tyler Johnson, Ryan Malone AP

Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.

6. WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2)

Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One Getty Images

Kings hope to avoid two straight years of 0-2 first-round deficits.

7. Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head

Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Tampa Bay’s captain managed to return later in the game.

8. Trotz says goodbye to Nashville with full-page ad in newspaper

Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT

Barry Trotz Getty Images

Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.

9. Video: Habs take 1-0 lead in just 11 seconds

Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.

10. Emery states case to remain in Flyers’ net (if Mason can play in Game 3)

Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers v New York Rangers - Game Two Getty Images

He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.

11. Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1

Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT

Justin Florek, Tomas Tatar AP

Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.

12. Sibling rivalry: Reilly Smith scores, Brendan challenges Chara

Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT

Smith Chara

They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.

13. Lightning coach: Everyone’s written us off, so we have nothing to lose

Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT

Jon Cooper AP

They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D