May 20, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning made some big changes once it was clear that the 2013 season was going down the tubes. With Vincent Lecavalier‘s big contract and frequent injury headaches in mind, some might wonder if a trade might be in his future, but the Lightning’s captain told the Tampa Bay Times that isn’t the case.
“Yeah, I want to be here,” Lecavalier said. “I want to play here the rest of my career and I’ve always said that and will keep saying it. I’ve been here for 15 years now. I’m proud to be part of this organization.”
The 33-year-old acknowledged that this past season was a letdown, but he doesn’t think the Bolts are that far from being a playoff team.
“Not at all,” Lecavalier said. “It’s disappointing to look at it that way. People are going to look at it that way. I don’t feel like that at all. I’m still, I don’t want to say shocked, especially with the start we had. I thought for sure we were going to have a great year. That’s why it’s that disappointing.”
With Tampa Bay’s core pieces locked up for at least next season, it’s all about improvement from within – for both the Lightning and Lecavalier.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)