May 20, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning made some big changes once it was clear that the 2013 season was going down the tubes. With Vincent Lecavalier‘s big contract and frequent injury headaches in mind, some might wonder if a trade might be in his future, but the Lightning’s captain told the Tampa Bay Times that isn’t the case.
“Yeah, I want to be here,” Lecavalier said. “I want to play here the rest of my career and I’ve always said that and will keep saying it. I’ve been here for 15 years now. I’m proud to be part of this organization.”
The 33-year-old acknowledged that this past season was a letdown, but he doesn’t think the Bolts are that far from being a playoff team.
“Not at all,” Lecavalier said. “It’s disappointing to look at it that way. People are going to look at it that way. I don’t feel like that at all. I’m still, I don’t want to say shocked, especially with the start we had. I thought for sure we were going to have a great year. That’s why it’s that disappointing.”
With Tampa Bay’s core pieces locked up for at least next season, it’s all about improvement from within – for both the Lightning and Lecavalier.
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 58
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (161)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)