May 20, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning made some big changes once it was clear that the 2013 season was going down the tubes. With Vincent Lecavalier‘s big contract and frequent injury headaches in mind, some might wonder if a trade might be in his future, but the Lightning’s captain told the Tampa Bay Times that isn’t the case.
“Yeah, I want to be here,” Lecavalier said. “I want to play here the rest of my career and I’ve always said that and will keep saying it. I’ve been here for 15 years now. I’m proud to be part of this organization.”
The 33-year-old acknowledged that this past season was a letdown, but he doesn’t think the Bolts are that far from being a playoff team.
“Not at all,” Lecavalier said. “It’s disappointing to look at it that way. People are going to look at it that way. I don’t feel like that at all. I’m still, I don’t want to say shocked, especially with the start we had. I thought for sure we were going to have a great year. That’s why it’s that disappointing.”
With Tampa Bay’s core pieces locked up for at least next season, it’s all about improvement from within – for both the Lightning and Lecavalier.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 33
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 5
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 31
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)