May 20, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning made some big changes once it was clear that the 2013 season was going down the tubes. With Vincent Lecavalier‘s big contract and frequent injury headaches in mind, some might wonder if a trade might be in his future, but the Lightning’s captain told the Tampa Bay Times that isn’t the case.
“Yeah, I want to be here,” Lecavalier said. “I want to play here the rest of my career and I’ve always said that and will keep saying it. I’ve been here for 15 years now. I’m proud to be part of this organization.”
The 33-year-old acknowledged that this past season was a letdown, but he doesn’t think the Bolts are that far from being a playoff team.
“Not at all,” Lecavalier said. “It’s disappointing to look at it that way. People are going to look at it that way. I don’t feel like that at all. I’m still, I don’t want to say shocked, especially with the start we had. I thought for sure we were going to have a great year. That’s why it’s that disappointing.”
With Tampa Bay’s core pieces locked up for at least next season, it’s all about improvement from within – for both the Lightning and Lecavalier.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 5
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 14
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 11
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 17
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)