May 20, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning made some big changes once it was clear that the 2013 season was going down the tubes. With Vincent Lecavalier‘s big contract and frequent injury headaches in mind, some might wonder if a trade might be in his future, but the Lightning’s captain told the Tampa Bay Times that isn’t the case.
“Yeah, I want to be here,” Lecavalier said. “I want to play here the rest of my career and I’ve always said that and will keep saying it. I’ve been here for 15 years now. I’m proud to be part of this organization.”
The 33-year-old acknowledged that this past season was a letdown, but he doesn’t think the Bolts are that far from being a playoff team.
“Not at all,” Lecavalier said. “It’s disappointing to look at it that way. People are going to look at it that way. I don’t feel like that at all. I’m still, I don’t want to say shocked, especially with the start we had. I thought for sure we were going to have a great year. That’s why it’s that disappointing.”
With Tampa Bay’s core pieces locked up for at least next season, it’s all about improvement from within – for both the Lightning and Lecavalier.
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 13
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 29
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)