May 20, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan didn’t make that comparison after the 24-year-old skated with the forward group instead of the blueliners on Monday, but Demers does have some experience playing in that position earlier in his career. He told the team Web site that he’ll do what it takes to get back in the lineup, as long as the injured young player is physically ready.
“I feel good,” Demers said. “It’s just a question of getting back into game shape. As soon as you do a couple of shifts, especially in this kind of series, you’ll be in shape real quick. I’m just helping out wherever I can and going where they tell me to go.”
McLellan admitted that dressing seven defensemen and giving Demers the occasional forward shift is a possibility.
“It’s an option as he gets healthier and times go on,” McLellan said.
It sounds like Demers is OK with jumping through a few hoops if it means getting into this series.
“It’s a great series right now,” Demers said. “We could easily be up 2-1. It could easily be the other way around, for sure, but it’s been a great series, good rivalry. Both teams are playing great, at a top level. Just watching from the stands, you’re anxious to get out on the ice. For sure, I’m chomping at the bit a little bit.”
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)