May 20, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan didn’t make that comparison after the 24-year-old skated with the forward group instead of the blueliners on Monday, but Demers does have some experience playing in that position earlier in his career. He told the team Web site that he’ll do what it takes to get back in the lineup, as long as the injured young player is physically ready.
“I feel good,” Demers said. “It’s just a question of getting back into game shape. As soon as you do a couple of shifts, especially in this kind of series, you’ll be in shape real quick. I’m just helping out wherever I can and going where they tell me to go.”
McLellan admitted that dressing seven defensemen and giving Demers the occasional forward shift is a possibility.
“It’s an option as he gets healthier and times go on,” McLellan said.
It sounds like Demers is OK with jumping through a few hoops if it means getting into this series.
“It’s a great series right now,” Demers said. “We could easily be up 2-1. It could easily be the other way around, for sure, but it’s been a great series, good rivalry. Both teams are playing great, at a top level. Just watching from the stands, you’re anxious to get out on the ice. For sure, I’m chomping at the bit a little bit.”
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 0
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 60
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 61
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)