May 20, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
NHL general managers take a lot of heat on PHT, so it’s only fair we occasionally point out a good move one of them makes.
In the case of drafting Logan Couture, Sharks GM Doug Wilson certainly made a good move.
Check that: Wilson made good moves, plural.
For those who require a refresher, Couture was drafted ninth overall in 2007. San Jose was able to get him after acquiring Toronto’s first- and second-round selections (13th and 44th) in a trade involving goalie Vesa Toskala, then using those picks, plus a third-rounder, to trade up with St. Louis for the Blues’ No. 9 pick.
At the time, Wilson was criticized for the move. Couture’s skating was a big question mark, and he went into the draft ranked 19th by NHL Central Scouting.
Couture, of course, returned from an apparent leg injury to score the overtime winner on Saturday versus Los Angeles. His 10 points in seven games — which include two game-winning goals — lead the Sharks in playoff scoring.
PS — The reason the Sharks traded up to get Couture is they were worried the Panthers were ready to take him with their 10th pick. Instead, Florida ended up picking defenseman Keaton Ellerby, who’s now — funny how these things turn out — with the Kings.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)