May 20, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
NHL general managers take a lot of heat on PHT, so it’s only fair we occasionally point out a good move one of them makes.
In the case of drafting Logan Couture, Sharks GM Doug Wilson certainly made a good move.
Check that: Wilson made good moves, plural.
For those who require a refresher, Couture was drafted ninth overall in 2007. San Jose was able to get him after acquiring Toronto’s first- and second-round selections (13th and 44th) in a trade involving goalie Vesa Toskala, then using those picks, plus a third-rounder, to trade up with St. Louis for the Blues’ No. 9 pick.
At the time, Wilson was criticized for the move. Couture’s skating was a big question mark, and he went into the draft ranked 19th by NHL Central Scouting.
Couture, of course, returned from an apparent leg injury to score the overtime winner on Saturday versus Los Angeles. His 10 points in seven games — which include two game-winning goals — lead the Sharks in playoff scoring.
PS — The reason the Sharks traded up to get Couture is they were worried the Panthers were ready to take him with their 10th pick. Instead, Florida ended up picking defenseman Keaton Ellerby, who’s now — funny how these things turn out — with the Kings.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 16
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)