May 20, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
NHL general managers take a lot of heat on PHT, so it’s only fair we occasionally point out a good move one of them makes.
In the case of drafting Logan Couture, Sharks GM Doug Wilson certainly made a good move.
Check that: Wilson made good moves, plural.
For those who require a refresher, Couture was drafted ninth overall in 2007. San Jose was able to get him after acquiring Toronto’s first- and second-round selections (13th and 44th) in a trade involving goalie Vesa Toskala, then using those picks, plus a third-rounder, to trade up with St. Louis for the Blues’ No. 9 pick.
At the time, Wilson was criticized for the move. Couture’s skating was a big question mark, and he went into the draft ranked 19th by NHL Central Scouting.
Couture, of course, returned from an apparent leg injury to score the overtime winner on Saturday versus Los Angeles. His 10 points in seven games — which include two game-winning goals — lead the Sharks in playoff scoring.
PS — The reason the Sharks traded up to get Couture is they were worried the Panthers were ready to take him with their 10th pick. Instead, Florida ended up picking defenseman Keaton Ellerby, who’s now — funny how these things turn out — with the Kings.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 0
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 23
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (56)