May 20, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
NHL general managers take a lot of heat on PHT, so it’s only fair we occasionally point out a good move one of them makes.
In the case of drafting Logan Couture, Sharks GM Doug Wilson certainly made a good move.
Check that: Wilson made good moves, plural.
For those who require a refresher, Couture was drafted ninth overall in 2007. San Jose was able to get him after acquiring Toronto’s first- and second-round selections (13th and 44th) in a trade involving goalie Vesa Toskala, then using those picks, plus a third-rounder, to trade up with St. Louis for the Blues’ No. 9 pick.
At the time, Wilson was criticized for the move. Couture’s skating was a big question mark, and he went into the draft ranked 19th by NHL Central Scouting.
Couture, of course, returned from an apparent leg injury to score the overtime winner on Saturday versus Los Angeles. His 10 points in seven games — which include two game-winning goals — lead the Sharks in playoff scoring.
PS — The reason the Sharks traded up to get Couture is they were worried the Panthers were ready to take him with their 10th pick. Instead, Florida ended up picking defenseman Keaton Ellerby, who’s now — funny how these things turn out — with the Kings.
- Andre’s gigantic game: Caps push Rangers to the brink 33
- Quick strike: Lightning steal Game 3 from Habs with last-second goal 17
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 18
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 46
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ (67)
- Lundqvist thinks Backstrom’s hit caused Rangers to lose focus before game-winning goal (63)