May 20, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla isn’t sure where he’ll play hockey next year, but he does know one thing:
He’ll be playing somewhere.
The Pittsburgh winger told the Calgary Herald that, even if he wins his first-ever Stanley Cup this spring, he won’t consider retiring.
Here’s more, from the Herald:
What Jarome Iginla does know is that, whatever happens, Stanley Cup or no, he’ll be playing next season. Somewhere. There’ll be no teary Ray Bourque-like goodbye should the dream at long last come to fruition.
“I had one fan come up to me in a restaurant the other night,” he laughs, “just to say ‘Good luck, Friday.’ And I’m like ‘Thank you.’ And then, out of the blue, he says: ‘If you guys win it, are you going to retire?’ He must’ve thought I said yes, because he was like ‘C’mon? No! No!’
“But, no, I don’t plan on retiring.
“I still feel good. I still love the game. God willing, I’d love to win the Cup this year. But, regardless, I plan on playing for a while longer.”
Iginla turns 36 and will become an unrestricted free agent this July. With his new deal, money likely won’t be an issue — he’s made $56 million on his last two contracts alone — but it will be interesting to see how long he signs for.
The 11th overall pick at the 1995 NHL Entry Draft, Iginla can look around the league and see a number of ’95 first-rounders still playing — Shane Doan, Wade Redden, Radek Dvorak, Jean-Sebastien Giguere — so there’s little surprise he wants to keep playing.
That said, Iginla has been grinding it out for 17 years and participated in over 1200 regular season contests (including a stretch of 410 straight from 2007-12).
The only ’95 draftee with a similar workload is Doan — who, it has to be mentioned, was getting mega-offers last summer during free agency.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)