May 20, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla isn’t sure where he’ll play hockey next year, but he does know one thing:
He’ll be playing somewhere.
The Pittsburgh winger told the Calgary Herald that, even if he wins his first-ever Stanley Cup this spring, he won’t consider retiring.
Here’s more, from the Herald:
What Jarome Iginla does know is that, whatever happens, Stanley Cup or no, he’ll be playing next season. Somewhere. There’ll be no teary Ray Bourque-like goodbye should the dream at long last come to fruition.
“I had one fan come up to me in a restaurant the other night,” he laughs, “just to say ‘Good luck, Friday.’ And I’m like ‘Thank you.’ And then, out of the blue, he says: ‘If you guys win it, are you going to retire?’ He must’ve thought I said yes, because he was like ‘C’mon? No! No!’
“But, no, I don’t plan on retiring.
“I still feel good. I still love the game. God willing, I’d love to win the Cup this year. But, regardless, I plan on playing for a while longer.”
Iginla turns 36 and will become an unrestricted free agent this July. With his new deal, money likely won’t be an issue — he’s made $56 million on his last two contracts alone — but it will be interesting to see how long he signs for.
The 11th overall pick at the 1995 NHL Entry Draft, Iginla can look around the league and see a number of ’95 first-rounders still playing — Shane Doan, Wade Redden, Radek Dvorak, Jean-Sebastien Giguere — so there’s little surprise he wants to keep playing.
That said, Iginla has been grinding it out for 17 years and participated in over 1200 regular season contests (including a stretch of 410 straight from 2007-12).
The only ’95 draftee with a similar workload is Doan — who, it has to be mentioned, was getting mega-offers last summer during free agency.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)