May 20, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
Two days after his head coach said he “stinks” on the power play, Carl Hagelin defended himself.
“For me, I definitely don’t think I stink on the power play,” Hagelin told the Bergen Record. “That’s the only comment I have on the PP.”
All this stink talk comes from Saturday, when Tortorella explained why he doesn’t use Hagelin — New York’s fifth-leading scorer during the regular season — on the man advantage.
“Because he stinks on the power play,” Torts explained. “I don’t know why. I wish I could play him on the power play. Every time I put him on, he stinks.
“I think he’s too quick,. I think he’s a jitterbug and he screws it up. But I may use him — I’d love to. And I’m not trying to be a smart aleck. He stinks on the power play every time I put him on there.”
History is not on the side of the young Swede. Hagelin’s scored just one PPG in 112 career contests.
Though to be fair, he gets about as many PP opportunities during the regular season as he does during the playoffs.
The 24-year-old averaged just 1:02 of power play time per game this season — 11th among Ranger forwards — and got even less as a rookie, averaging a mere 22 seconds per night.
The bottom line might be that the Rangers’ power play is beyond what Hagelin and Tortorella think.
New York is now 2-for-36 with the man advantage this postseason, a woeful 5.6 conversion percentage.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 4
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)