May 20, 2013, 5:06 PM EST
Two days after his head coach said he “stinks” on the power play, Carl Hagelin defended himself.
“For me, I definitely don’t think I stink on the power play,” Hagelin told the Bergen Record. “That’s the only comment I have on the PP.”
All this stink talk comes from Saturday, when Tortorella explained why he doesn’t use Hagelin — New York’s fifth-leading scorer during the regular season — on the man advantage.
“Because he stinks on the power play,” Torts explained. “I don’t know why. I wish I could play him on the power play. Every time I put him on, he stinks.
“I think he’s too quick,. I think he’s a jitterbug and he screws it up. But I may use him — I’d love to. And I’m not trying to be a smart aleck. He stinks on the power play every time I put him on there.”
History is not on the side of the young Swede. Hagelin’s scored just one PPG in 112 career contests.
Though to be fair, he gets about as many PP opportunities during the regular season as he does during the playoffs.
The 24-year-old averaged just 1:02 of power play time per game this season — 11th among Ranger forwards — and got even less as a rookie, averaging a mere 22 seconds per night.
The bottom line might be that the Rangers’ power play is beyond what Hagelin and Tortorella think.
New York is now 2-for-36 with the man advantage this postseason, a woeful 5.6 conversion percentage.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 0
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 23
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)