May 20, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
Two days after his head coach said he “stinks” on the power play, Carl Hagelin defended himself.
“For me, I definitely don’t think I stink on the power play,” Hagelin told the Bergen Record. “That’s the only comment I have on the PP.”
All this stink talk comes from Saturday, when Tortorella explained why he doesn’t use Hagelin — New York’s fifth-leading scorer during the regular season — on the man advantage.
“Because he stinks on the power play,” Torts explained. “I don’t know why. I wish I could play him on the power play. Every time I put him on, he stinks.
“I think he’s too quick,. I think he’s a jitterbug and he screws it up. But I may use him — I’d love to. And I’m not trying to be a smart aleck. He stinks on the power play every time I put him on there.”
History is not on the side of the young Swede. Hagelin’s scored just one PPG in 112 career contests.
Though to be fair, he gets about as many PP opportunities during the regular season as he does during the playoffs.
The 24-year-old averaged just 1:02 of power play time per game this season — 11th among Ranger forwards — and got even less as a rookie, averaging a mere 22 seconds per night.
The bottom line might be that the Rangers’ power play is beyond what Hagelin and Tortorella think.
New York is now 2-for-36 with the man advantage this postseason, a woeful 5.6 conversion percentage.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)