May 20, 2013, 10:29 AM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets are giving Ryan Johansen some tough love.
Johansen, the club’s first-round pick (fourth overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, was made a healthy scratch for Game 4 of AHL Springfield’s second-round sweep at the hands of Syracuse.
What’s more, Springfield’s coach said that Blue Jackets management was on board with the decision.
“They were here; they saw it,” Brad Larsen told the Columbus Dispatch about Johansen’s benching. [Blue Jackets coach] Todd Richards was here [Blue Jackets GM] Jarmo Kekalainen was here. [Blue Jackets assistant GM] Chris MacFarland was here. They saw it. They recognized it.
“Accountability is going up in Columbus. It’s all about performance and what you’re doing to help your teammates. It’s that way down here, too. Has to be.”
Johansen had just one assist and went an ugly minus-8 in the first three games of the series.
It’s not the first time he’s received this sort of “punishment” from the organization — in early February, he was demoted to Springfield after Richards said his game went downhill — but it is a tad surprising to see it happen now.
Johansen is only 20 years old and seemed to respond to the February demotion, finishing the year with 12 points.
He also scored a crucial game-winning goal in a 4-3 win over San Jose in Columbus’ third-last game of the year, a huge victory to keep the BJs in playoff contention.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 8
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 32
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)