May 20, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
The award is for “the player who exemplifies great leadership qualities to his team, on and off the ice during the regular season.”
After leading the Kings to the Stanley Cup last year, Brown has once again helped the Kings get deep into the playoffs with his mixture of skill and grit. He had 29 points and ranked eighth in the NHL with 156 hits in the regular season.
Since 2008-09, Brown has donated $50 to charity for every hit he delivers, which has benefited, among others, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. He was also selected as the Kings’ Most Popular Player for the 2013 campaign.
Toews was the fourth-youngest captain in NHL history when he got started and he was just 22 when the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup. Toews has developed into a point-per-game player, but he’s an equally effective player in all situations situations, as evidenced by his Selke Trophy nomination.
Toews aides the Make-A-Wish Foundation and last fall he also participated in the “Goals for Dreams Hockey Challenge” to raise money for the Children’s Hospital Foundation and the Dream Factory.
Alfredsson, more than any other player in the team’s 21-year history, represents the Ottawa Senators. He is the franchise’s all-time leader in games, goals, and assists, in addition to a variety of other categories. In what could be his last year before retirement, the 40-year-old forward is still a major contributor, as exemplified by his last minute, game-tying, shorthanded goal last night against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Off the ice, Alfredsson has supported the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa for the past 10 seasons. He also has helped raise awareness of youth mental-health issues through his support of Royal Ottawa Foundation for Mental Health’s “Do It for Daron” campaign.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)