May 20, 2013, 2:39 PM EST
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, along with the Stanley Cup, made a trip to the New York Stock Exchange on Friday.
Per CNBC, Bettman took the opportunity to talk up the league’s attendance and TV ratings following a lockout that many predicted would hurt business badly.
“We’ve got great players, a great game, and the best sports fans in the world,” said Bettman, who also cited the NHL’s “incredible competitive balance” that provides numerous teams with a chance to win the Cup.
And in a pitch the commissioner has likely used before, he also referenced the dramatic rise in franchise values that has occurred in recent years.
“For most sports teams we probably do better than the Dow,” said Bettman, “It’s a good, stable investment.”
That said, money isn’t the only thing that drives NHL owners.
“On a cash-flow basis, there are probably other things you can do, cash-on-cash return, that would be annually better,” Bettman acknowledged.
“You do it because you love the game, and you love the community.”
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 48
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (49)