May 19, 2013, 5:28 PM EST
Team Sweden did something no other hockey country has been able to do since 1986, and that’s win the World Championships as the host nation.
Sweden took home gold in the 2013 IIHF World Hockey Championship with a 5-1 victory over Switzerland on Sunday afternoon.
Vancouver Canucks’ captain Henrik Sedin, who, along with his twin brother Daniel, joined the Swedish squad when their National Hockey League team was swept out of the Stanley Cup playoffs in the opening round, scored twice in the gold medal game.
The loss was a tough way for Switzerland to end the tournament. The Swiss had gone undefeated in this year’s competition until today, before falling to Sweden.
There is a silver lining for Switzerland. According to the Canadian Press, it’s the first time in 60 years Switzerland has won a medal at the World Championships.
Earlier in the day, Team USA won bronze in a shootout over Finland.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:11 PM EST
“It was just bad in here.”
Dec 8, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
Adding to what was already a rough night for Boston and Pittsburgh.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
Meanwhile the Flyers will play in Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
They’re 14 points out of a playoff spot.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
They’re playing without Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
He would have preferred they talked about the rookie goalie that just got his first shutout.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Is the end coming for Jack Capuano?
Dec 8, 2013, 1:28 AM EST
This chapter in the Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
Three straight losses to Pacific Division giants.
Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
Toronto outshot yet again.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:40 PM EST
Reported blow to the head.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 PM EST
Another dirty incident.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Happened on first shift.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
‘I made a mistake’
Dec 7, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
Has a history with concussions.
Dec 7, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:11 PM EST
Taken to hospital.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:51 PM EST
Also, his views on fighting.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:22 PM EST
Some good news.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 5
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 74
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 72
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 63
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 37
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 72
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (78)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (74)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)