May 19, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
It’s been a while since New York Rangers’ goalie Henrik Lundqvist allowed five goals in a game.
According to a tweet from Andrew Gross, the Rangers’ beat reporter for The Record in New Jersey, Lundqvist had gone 152 straight games – including playoffs and regular season – without allowing five goals.
Sunday wasn’t a good time for this streak to come to an end.
The Rangers fell to the Bruins by a final score of 5-2 in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference semifinal and now trail 2-0 in the series.
But Rangers’ head coach John Tortorella wasn’t in the mood to openly criticize his goalie – the same one that registered 24 wins in the lockout-shortened regular season, which put him in a three-way tie with Antti Niemi and Niklas Backstrom for most in the league.
“I’m not evaluating our goaltending. I don’t need to evaluate Henrik. We know what Henrik is,” said Tortorella, as per CBSBoston.com.
Lundqvist was also stung on a Daniel Paille shot, as per Sportsnet.
“It’s my shoulder, we’ll see,” Lundqvist said after the game. “We’ll take a look at it.”
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 6
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 15
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 80
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (80)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)