May 19, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
It’s been a while since New York Rangers’ goalie Henrik Lundqvist allowed five goals in a game.
According to a tweet from Andrew Gross, the Rangers’ beat reporter for The Record in New Jersey, Lundqvist had gone 152 straight games – including playoffs and regular season – without allowing five goals.
Sunday wasn’t a good time for this streak to come to an end.
The Rangers fell to the Bruins by a final score of 5-2 in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference semifinal and now trail 2-0 in the series.
But Rangers’ head coach John Tortorella wasn’t in the mood to openly criticize his goalie – the same one that registered 24 wins in the lockout-shortened regular season, which put him in a three-way tie with Antti Niemi and Niklas Backstrom for most in the league.
“I’m not evaluating our goaltending. I don’t need to evaluate Henrik. We know what Henrik is,” said Tortorella, as per CBSBoston.com.
Lundqvist was also stung on a Daniel Paille shot, as per Sportsnet.
“It’s my shoulder, we’ll see,” Lundqvist said after the game. “We’ll take a look at it.”
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 33
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 6
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)