May 19, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
It’s been a while since New York Rangers’ goalie Henrik Lundqvist allowed five goals in a game.
According to a tweet from Andrew Gross, the Rangers’ beat reporter for The Record in New Jersey, Lundqvist had gone 152 straight games – including playoffs and regular season – without allowing five goals.
Sunday wasn’t a good time for this streak to come to an end.
The Rangers fell to the Bruins by a final score of 5-2 in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference semifinal and now trail 2-0 in the series.
But Rangers’ head coach John Tortorella wasn’t in the mood to openly criticize his goalie – the same one that registered 24 wins in the lockout-shortened regular season, which put him in a three-way tie with Antti Niemi and Niklas Backstrom for most in the league.
“I’m not evaluating our goaltending. I don’t need to evaluate Henrik. We know what Henrik is,” said Tortorella, as per CBSBoston.com.
Lundqvist was also stung on a Daniel Paille shot, as per Sportsnet.
“It’s my shoulder, we’ll see,” Lundqvist said after the game. “We’ll take a look at it.”
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 11
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 28
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)