May 19, 2013, 8:38 AM EDT
As a speedy, talented forward, you’d think Carl Hagelin would be a go-to guy on the New York Rangers power play. Especially since that unit is one of the most impotent in the playoffs, going a measly 2-for-31 so far in 2013.
That’s not the case, though. The 24-year-old Swede has only averaged 13 seconds of power-play time per game in the playoffs, which ranks 10th among Rangers forwards.
Despite clearly being fond of Hagelin, head coach John Tortorella explained Hagelin’s absence from that special teams unit to NHL.com.
“No, no, it screws me up, too, because I’d like to put him on the power play but he stinks on the power play,” Tortorella said. “I can’t figure it out. I can’t. I love the guy. He is such an effective player, but he, as I said many times, stinks on the power play.”
Tortorella wonders if Hagelin’s outstanding speed might be part of the problem.
“I think he’s too quick,” Tortorella said. “I think he’s a jitterbug and he screws it up. But again, I may use him, I don’t know. I’d love to.”
If Tortorella does decide to add him back, he isn’t telling.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)