May 19, 2013, 8:38 AM EDT
As a speedy, talented forward, you’d think Carl Hagelin would be a go-to guy on the New York Rangers power play. Especially since that unit is one of the most impotent in the playoffs, going a measly 2-for-31 so far in 2013.
That’s not the case, though. The 24-year-old Swede has only averaged 13 seconds of power-play time per game in the playoffs, which ranks 10th among Rangers forwards.
Despite clearly being fond of Hagelin, head coach John Tortorella explained Hagelin’s absence from that special teams unit to NHL.com.
“No, no, it screws me up, too, because I’d like to put him on the power play but he stinks on the power play,” Tortorella said. “I can’t figure it out. I can’t. I love the guy. He is such an effective player, but he, as I said many times, stinks on the power play.”
Tortorella wonders if Hagelin’s outstanding speed might be part of the problem.
“I think he’s too quick,” Tortorella said. “I think he’s a jitterbug and he screws it up. But again, I may use him, I don’t know. I’d love to.”
If Tortorella does decide to add him back, he isn’t telling.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 3
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)