May 19, 2013, 8:38 AM EDT
As a speedy, talented forward, you’d think Carl Hagelin would be a go-to guy on the New York Rangers power play. Especially since that unit is one of the most impotent in the playoffs, going a measly 2-for-31 so far in 2013.
That’s not the case, though. The 24-year-old Swede has only averaged 13 seconds of power-play time per game in the playoffs, which ranks 10th among Rangers forwards.
Despite clearly being fond of Hagelin, head coach John Tortorella explained Hagelin’s absence from that special teams unit to NHL.com.
“No, no, it screws me up, too, because I’d like to put him on the power play but he stinks on the power play,” Tortorella said. “I can’t figure it out. I can’t. I love the guy. He is such an effective player, but he, as I said many times, stinks on the power play.”
Tortorella wonders if Hagelin’s outstanding speed might be part of the problem.
“I think he’s too quick,” Tortorella said. “I think he’s a jitterbug and he screws it up. But again, I may use him, I don’t know. I’d love to.”
If Tortorella does decide to add him back, he isn’t telling.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 0
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (45)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)