May 19, 2013, 8:38 AM EDT
As a speedy, talented forward, you’d think Carl Hagelin would be a go-to guy on the New York Rangers power play. Especially since that unit is one of the most impotent in the playoffs, going a measly 2-for-31 so far in 2013.
That’s not the case, though. The 24-year-old Swede has only averaged 13 seconds of power-play time per game in the playoffs, which ranks 10th among Rangers forwards.
Despite clearly being fond of Hagelin, head coach John Tortorella explained Hagelin’s absence from that special teams unit to NHL.com.
“No, no, it screws me up, too, because I’d like to put him on the power play but he stinks on the power play,” Tortorella said. “I can’t figure it out. I can’t. I love the guy. He is such an effective player, but he, as I said many times, stinks on the power play.”
Tortorella wonders if Hagelin’s outstanding speed might be part of the problem.
“I think he’s too quick,” Tortorella said. “I think he’s a jitterbug and he screws it up. But again, I may use him, I don’t know. I’d love to.”
If Tortorella does decide to add him back, he isn’t telling.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)