Rangers coach wishes Carl Hagelin didn’t ‘stink’ on the PP

May 19, 2013, 8:38 AM EST

carlhagelingetty Getty Images

As a speedy, talented forward, you’d think Carl Hagelin would be a go-to guy on the New York Rangers power play. Especially since that unit is one of the most impotent in the playoffs, going a measly 2-for-31 so far in 2013.

That’s not the case, though. The 24-year-old Swede has only averaged 13 seconds of power-play time per game in the playoffs, which ranks 10th among Rangers forwards.

Despite clearly being fond of Hagelin, head coach John Tortorella explained Hagelin’s absence from that special teams unit to NHL.com.

“No, no, it screws me up, too, because I’d like to put him on the power play but he stinks on the power play,” Tortorella said. “I can’t figure it out. I can’t. I love the guy. He is such an effective player, but he, as I said many times, stinks on the power play.”

Tortorella wonders if Hagelin’s outstanding speed might be part of the problem.

“I think he’s too quick,” Tortorella said. “I think he’s a jitterbug and he screws it up. But again, I may use him, I don’t know. I’d love to.”

If Tortorella does decide to add him back, he isn’t telling.

1. jkay1818 - May 19, 2013 at 8:57 AM

But he uses brad Richards at the point? Are you kidding me? If Hagelin is a jitterbug then Richards is a turtle. He is such a detriment out there. He’s slow, extremely predictable, bad at getting back on players when the puck is out of the zone and his shot is painfully weak on the point and always right at the goalies chest with no opportunity for rebounds or funky redirects. He needs to address other issues on the pp first.
    Sullivan should have gotten he pp duties stripped from him almost two seasons ago. It’s unbelievable the schemes he devises. Doesn’t matter how much talent the team has. It is always the same predictable set up, especially with Richards manning the pt. they are way better with the brassard and Boyle unit but they stray from it

• 19to77 - May 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM

And on that subject, how long until a buyout on Richards? Huge cap hit, awful production, team near the falling salary cap with Hagelin, Zuccarello, Stepan and McDonagh’s contracts all expiring… writing’s gotta be on the wall there.

2. 950003cups - May 19, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Ahhh! Prince Charming at his best.

3. hockeyfan763 - May 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM

950003cups, Aren’t you suppose to be following the Devils on their spring golfing tour ? Why don’t you stop trolling actual playoff hockey teams posts with your unfunny anti-Ranger comments and just disappear into your Mom’s basement until next season.

4. jkay1818 - May 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM

He is unreal, if you look at his 400 comments on here it’s about 4 combined thumbs up and 1800 thumbs down. He brings nothing to the table aside from corny ranger comments that aren’t clever or remotely funny. It’s actually pathetic that within mins of each ranger article he is sitting there posting. I’m embarrassed for him. No matter the time or place he is commenting about the rangers. His devotion is uncanny.
    One of his rants was something to the tune of other commenters dying of cancer and a whole 9-11 rant and how ranger fans are dirtbags…he needs a life.

5. 950003cups - May 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Jkau1818

That 9/11 rant was over, what appeared at the time, to be a rags fan trying to cheapen the events by linking it to the balloons in the MSG stands. It was misunderstood, it was two weeks ago, and I even apologized to him for it.

About someone dying of cancer? Are you a that desperate to make a post that you resorted to making up lies?

But, it sure is nice to have fans like you follow and keep tabs whenever I post something.

I’ll be sure to post on every post I choose about the rangers (which is rare by the way) until the rags win a game in a cup final. Then, at that point I will deactivate the account and never be heard from again. Until then, get used to it and suck it up loser! I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for these articles and post awayyyy.

6. jkay1818 - May 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Of course you will, because you’re a loser and constantly sit on the computer posting and obsessing over a team you don’t even root for. The sad thing is, you don’t even bring anything to the table or add insight or valid arguments. Just immature babyish remarks. You find it normal that every rangers article you comment on? Get a hobby…

7. 950003cups - May 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

By the way, you probably haven’t heard, but the rags organization that you so dearly love, is the very same one who asked for an extra draft pick after their draftee, Cherepanov passed away. It’s no wonder they employed the likes of Avery, and Prince Charming himself, John Tortorella.

I guess you think that’s what a classy team should do.

• jkay1818 - May 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM

no, i remember, it was five years ago. Time for you to move on from that. My question to you is, what does this have to do with carl hagelin on the power play? Tortorella wasn’t even coaching the NYR.
      You are a complete clown, like i said, you bring nothing to the table, just rants like a psychopath.
      Maybe you should worry about your own team, they are so crippled with money and broke other owners have to help you out and the league has to assist.

• johnstone17 - May 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM

My man, why do you & so many other Devils fans worry about the Rangers so much? In my opinion, you have on of the best run organizations in sports, have been very successful over the last 20 years & have a beautiful new arena. Yet every time I read a Rangers post, you are on here spewing trash. Why?

8. capsfan19 - May 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Tortallini.

9. valoisjoeybfeld69 - May 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM

True. Some players need to learn to slow down to be able to play during different aspects of the game. You see this more often from young players who are exuberant causing them to over play. Torts is no dummy when it comes to hockey IQ, and he is very demanding. His quotes were at one time annoying, but now they are a form of entertainment.

10. johnstone17 - May 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Hey coach, you know who stinks? You ! I hope you looked at the disparity of ice time of your players & compared it to the Bruins the other night. Plus, aren’t you some power play guru? Never your fault is it coach.

11. 950003cups - May 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Well, here’s a time when Classy Tortsy was coaching. He benches Avery for being “undisciplined” to show his team who’s the boss here. Then got himself suspended in that same game by throwing a water bottle at a fan.

Now he calls out his own player in public by saying he stinks. But never says a word about the guy he once won a cup with who’s not only overpaid, but overrated as well.

That’s pure leadership. You can’t make this stuff up. I enjoy it.

I have tons of stories for ya. The Torts classless stories are endless. I’ll make sure to post them frequently in your honor. I have nothing else to do but wait for the season to start up again anyway. So, until then, enjoy.

• jkay1818 - May 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM

So you’re finally admitting you’re a loser with no life. Thanks for the invite, but myself and everyone else aren’t up for hearing your endless torts stories. So you can sit online doing John tortorella research from your bedroom.
      The endless stories might come in handy at a job interview, that’s a good skill set to have. If you did have a job I’m sure you’re the most interesting person in the office…hi, does anyone want to hear tortorella stories? I have hundreds of them. Yes, you’re that big of a loser.

12. jkay1818 - May 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM

i love how you keep talking about “class” and being “classy” because we all know how a coach acts on the bench when he gets emotional epitomizes class. no coach has ever showed emotion before. The fact you’re arguing about “class” and mentioning john tortorella throwing a water bottle, makes you a complete a-hole. IM sure hearing this news has really disrupted everyones day. I dont know how im going to peel myself out of bed tomorrow after hearing about “the water bottle”
    Can i shut you up once and for all? Do you want to know about class? the great marty broduer left his wife and children for his sister in law, married her and had children. Classy tortorella and his wife own a foundation and she’s also a famous childrens book author, but you keep sticking to that water bottle story and other “torts” stories and broduer will keep sticking his sister in law. It isnt even a rumor, it’s fact, so ease back with your “class” garbage.

13. 950003cups - May 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

My offer still stands. Once the rags win a game in the cup finals, I will stop posting and deactivate the account.

LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE ME FOR ANOTHER 54 YEARS! LOL

P.S I don’t hate the rags as much as you believe. I enjoy the rivalry. Most of my dislike towards them is their Napoleon acting, Dos Equis looking, media hating, head coach. I wish he would take Adam Oates’ challenge so we can all watch him get his butt whooped. Larry Brooks could be the referee.

14. 950003cups - May 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Also, why do I care that Torts is married to a children’s book author? Or who Brodeur is sleeping with? That’s their lives. We don’t know how Brodeur’s first marriage was. Just like we don’t know if Torts treats his wife and kids like he does the media. I’d bet Torts goes home after every loss and beats his kids.

15. 950003cups - May 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Probably throws water bottles at them when they’re sleeping.

16. 19to77 - May 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Good God, 95003. Learn how to use the reply button.

17. 950003cups - May 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Can’t use reply when using a mobile device. Sorry. App needs to improve that.

• 19to77 - May 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Ah. Fair enough.

18. hockeyfan763 - May 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM

950003cups, you post on a mobile device ? I would’ve bet money you posted from your Mom’s basement but I guess posting from your paper route and lemonade stand makes sense too. Stay classy……..

• 950003cups - May 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM

It’s a very successful lemonade stand. Come visit, it’s the one outside MSG. Tortorella is my most loyal customer. We make his lemonade fresh, on the spot. Why do you think he’s always pissed?

19. benrob99 - May 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Yes!!! You NAILED IT Torts! He’s too fast to play on the power play!! Every coach in the league is looking for slow guys with no skill for the PP though so good luck finding one.

• 950003cups - May 19, 2013 at 1:16 PM

That’s the best post on here.

20. jdrew506 - May 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Which is worse a Devils fan trolling a Rangers story or Ranger fans trolling a Devils fan for trolling a Rangers story?
    It is very funny though the fact that you say he brings nothing to the table but either have you while you troll his trolls.

21. billyhauntswizards - May 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Wow. Torts. Just shut up. The powerplay sucks because of YOU (and Richards), and Sullivan. Hags isn’t a PP guy, maybe you should stop blaming the players and take responsibility for once? Oh wait, you’d never do that. Cause you’re a whiny little girl.

22. cameltoews - May 19, 2013 at 2:35 PM

As much as I dislike it when a coach uses the media to talk about a player, I hope this is somehow a motivation move by him. Hags has been one of our better playoff performers this year and is great on the PK. We should even have to worry about the PP with the players we have but 2-50000 shows how bad it is. Maybe he plans on using Hags extensively today on the PP and this is how he is going to get him to work his tail off. In fact, I think his speed can be harnessed. As much as I hate Gomez, I remember him carrying the luck up the ice with ease using his quickness. Hags should watch some video and try to do the same.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches